ADC 212/3 continuous recording

Post any questions about our parallel port products
cycniat

ADC 212/3 continuous recording

Post by cycniat »

How can I continuously record two channels of input using the high sampling rate of the ADC 212? The record function appears to be one screen at a time but I need to let the input run for 30 - 60 sec and then review the whole data file.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your question, unfortunately it is not possible to get continuous streamed data with the ADC-212. It operates in two modes single data reading when the operating system on you PC controlls the samples requests (this is only suitable when collecting data at 1 per ms fastest) or block mode where it collects the data quickly and fills the units onboard buffer. The limitation here is that the maximum number of samples is restricted by the buffer size. When the buffer is full or the required number of samples have been collected then they are downloaded. To download the ADC-212/3 full buffer it would take 1.28 seconds, at 100kHz download, then the unit needs to rearm.

The maximum time period that you can sample for can be calculated number of samples * time interval. Picolog 'Fast Block' mode is the usual method.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

cycniat

Post by cycniat »

OK, so I can't get continous recording but can you describe how I could get 2 seconds of high sampled data onto the screen for recording. I have one channel recording acoustic waveforms up to 100 kHz (cycles, not sampling rate) and another channel recording nerve spikes of approx 1 kHz and I need to be able to review both channels for later analysis.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

To achieve what you have expressed I would advise using Picolog in Fast Bloack mode.

File | New Settings

Once opened select the above option from the drop down menu.

Select the Unit and port number in this case ADC-212 and then click OK.

Once the unit has opened another window will appear titled 'Block Mode'.

Set the channels and AC/DC. The number of channels is limited to the maximum size of the buffer in this case 16000 sample per channels.

Now set the timebase to give you a minimum of 2 seconds you will need to select the 170uS, which will give you 2720ms.

Unfortunately, the above will only let you see a signal in the 2kHz range.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

cycniat

continuous recording

Post by cycniat »

Hi,

When I select the ADC 212 USB PP1 I get this error message:

ADC 200 Driver V3.03
Error 13 (HO SO)
picopp.sys V0.0

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Sorry to hear that you have been seeing this problem.

How are you connecting the ADC-212 to the PC? Are you using a USB converter or the parallel port?

If you are using the parallel port then the port needs to be an LPT number, most probably LPT1. If you are using the Pico parallel port converter, make sure that it is installed correctly and that it is showing in the device manager.

If after this you are still having problems then please let us know.

Best Regards