Picolog 1012 and it's software

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Johnnie Eisenhower

Picolog 1012 and it's software

Post by Johnnie Eisenhower »

Hello guys!

I'm now at the point in my project where I must consider the data collection and display aspects. As far as I can see your Picolog 1012 will be fine as my (hobby) budget has to be considered!

I'm resonating LCR circuits with a sweep gen over (approx) 20Hz to 40kHz: the sweep frequency is expected to be between 0.1Hz and 1Hz.

Central to the data issue is a frequency response plot. I also will need to log and display various other parameters along with it, that could either be sinewaves where just amplitude is important, or DC. (I could RMS to DC convert those AC signals if nesc).

AC signals will move about 0V so would the P'1012 be OK if I capacitor couple the AC waveforms as long as they remain within the 2.5V fsd of the input chan?

Will the software allow me to use a log scale on the X and / or Y axis?

By "display", above, I mean to print a copy of the resulting graph. I am less bothered about viewing the graphs on the laptop screen as they happen, though it would be nice!

Thanks.

J

Hitesh

Re: Picolog 1012 and it's software

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Johnnie,

You can use capacitor coupling if the input voltage is biased around 1.25V.

Otherwise you can place an offset resistor on the terminal board to counter the movement around 0V.

The graph axes cannot be set to log scales, but the calculated parameters feature in the PicoLog software will allow you to calculate a log value for the y-axis which will then be displayed on the graph if selected.

In streaming mode, you are only going to get 1 kiloSamples per second so a PicoScope 2204 or 2205 might be more appropriate.

I hope this helps.

Johnnie Eisenhower

Post by Johnnie Eisenhower »

Hello Hitesh, and thanks for your reply.

I accept the samples per second issue in that the sampling could take place on any part of the sinewave and give error results over 1 single scan. I'm currently using a (so called, real time) software spectrum analyser via a USB connection. I get around the sampling issue simply by using the peak/hold function and allowing the system to make loads of scans - like in a loop til I stop the scanning. In a fairly short time the screen displays a fully built spectrum analysis curve which I can then print. Not ideal, but it does work!

Eventually I will need to record 5 or 6 chans of data which was one of the reasons I thought the logger might be better for me than the Picoscope. As mentioned in the first post, I could RMS to DC convert the AC signal if it would help.

But if your software can do the peak/hold function of many scans, that **might** work better for me, because I am going to need to record those multiple analogure chans as the project develops. I just can't afford a multi chan, analogue Picoscope.

If you've further advice I'd be obliged.

Ta.

J

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Johnnie,

You could try using the Persistence Mode feature in PicoScope 6:

The PicoLog 1000 series devices can be used with PicoScope 6 - please download the latest version from http://www.picotech.com/software.html if you have not already done so.

I hope this helps.