Picoscope 4262, laptop battery or mains PC?

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
audio_jim

Picoscope 4262, laptop battery or mains PC?

Post by audio_jim »

I have the Picoscope 4262 which I like very much, I just wanted to ask for peoples general opinions on the following.

I see that quite a lot of folk use laptops with these, are there any advantages to be gained by using a laptop running on its internal battery, over a desktop PC running from its mains switchmode PSU?

The theory I have in my head (whether justified or not), is that battery power would be a cleaner source of USB power for the picoscope rather than the noisy nature of a switchmode in a desktop PC.

Any thoughts on this one? would there be any noticeable differences/gains to be had etc?

Thanks!
Jim.

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picoscope 4262, laptop battery or mains PC?

Post by alan »

The PicoScope 4262 will work fine regardless of the PC and its power as great care is taken inside the unit to filter out any noise from the PC.

Given its high dynamic range you do however have to be careful that whatever you are testing is not picking up any noise from the PC or other nearby equipment as some laptops / desktops do produce electrical noise. Good quality signal cables are a must.

audio_jim

Post by audio_jim »

Hi Alan,

Thanks ever so much for clearing that up, I am in the process of making up some really good quality leads for testing but its nice to know about the power (laptop or PC).

One other question while I have you here :D would you know how much it costs to have a 4262 calibrated as im thinking it might be wise after a year or so.

Thanks again,
Jim

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Currently £50 plus p&p
Martyn
Technical Support Manager