the new "A API" for PS2200 series

Post your Linux discussions here
jkahrs

the new "A API" for PS2200 series

Post by jkahrs »

Hello,

I just saw that you published the brand new Programmer's Guide for the "PS 2000 A API":

http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/ps2000apg.en-3.pdf

It says that streaming mode now allows up to 30 MS/s. Great ! Is this also possible with the Linux driver ? If so, this would be a strong argument to replace my old PS2205 with a new device that supports the "A API". The only remaining subtlety would be that the Linux driver for the "A API" supports only 32 bit Linux, while I have a 64 bit Linux. This problem could be solved with a Virtual Machine, but it would be more convenient to have 64 bit support in the Linux driver.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: the new "A API" for PS2200 series

Post by Martyn »

The "A API" drivers for Linux are built on the same code base as the Windows version and so in theory the same sorts of rates should be possible. Achieving them will be down to factors related to the operating system, PC performance and the USB bus usage.

Linux 64 bit drivers are still on the horizon.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

jkahrs

Post by jkahrs »

Ok, so the real performance (the highest sample rate that can be streamed to disk) depends on my PC and its OS. That was what I had hoped for. So I am really considering to buy a PS2206.

In the meantime I have read other posting on this forum about the problem of 64 and 32 bit Linux drivers. If I understood the postings correctly, I can use the 32 bit drivers even when using a 64 bit Linux. This can be achieved by using a 32 bit bit compiler tool chain that knows how to link against the 32 bit drivers. Is this reasoning correct or am I too optimistic ?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

That is correct, compiling for 32 bit against the 32 bit drivers will work on a 64 bit machine
Martyn
Technical Support Manager