Problem Saving Startup Settings, also Keyboard shortcuts

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
KenArton

Problem Saving Startup Settings, also Keyboard shortcuts

Post by KenArton »

Hello,

I have two problems with my 2205MSO scope:

1. Saving Startup Settings:
I spent some time carefully setting colours and keyboard shortcuts to suit my preferences, then I used the File Menu, Save Startup Settings to (supposedly) save them. Later on I managed to get the scope into a rather strange state, so used the reset preferences to get everything back to normal. I then tried to reload my own settings with Load Startup Settings, only to find that nothing changed and I appear to have lost all the saved settings.

I should mention that on selecting Save Startup Settings a small window appears momentarily. This seems to have boxes which might be for entering a filename, which is what I would expect, but it disappears almost at once. So I am wondering if there is a bug here.

LATER EDIT: I now realise that I was confusing settings with preferences.
Saving Startup Settings works fine. So the question now is how do I save my Preferences ?
I have spent a long time carefully setting lots of keyboard shortcuts, but it seems that a single click in the wrong place (Reset preferences) will wipe out the lot with no way of recovering them.

2. Keyboard Shortcuts:

LATER EDIT:
I have solved this one, ignore paragraph below.
The timebase is referred to as "Collection Time" in the keyboard shortcuts editor -- very non-intuitive!

Under Preferences there is a facility for setting keyboard shortcuts, which is very comprehensive in that it allows me to set a shortcut for just about anything, EXCEPT the most useful shortcut of all, namely for the timebase. Or am I missing something? Any advice on how I should set up this shortcut?

Many thanks, Ken.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem Saving Startup Settings, also Keyboard shortcuts

Post by Martyn »

If you go to the following folder (Windows7)

"C:\Users\{LoginName}\AppData\Local\Pico Technology\{long asciinumericstringname}

you will find a

"preferences.xml"

file which contains all the settings. If you copy this you will be able to restore settings if you accidentally delete them.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

KenArton

Post by KenArton »

Many thanks Martyn.

I was pretty sure there must be a file saved somewhere; finding it was the problem.

Perhaps this info could be put in the Guide?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for the feedback, I will mention this although it may even be better to save these settings from a menu command.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager