12bit MSO?

Which product is right for your exact requirements
MrW

12bit MSO?

Post by MrW »

Hello!
Basically what I need is MSO like 2205, but with true 12bit vertical resolution (like for example 4224).
Any plans for such a device?

Hitesh

Re: 12bit MSO?

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Thanks for your question. It is a good idea - there are no immediate plans but please do keep an eye out on our website or newsletter (http://www.picotech.com/newsletter/).

It would be helpful to have some information about your application to understand your requirement for such a device.

Regards,

MrW

Post by MrW »

Hi, thanks for reply!

Basically what I do is development of custom systems involving microcontrollers, various low resistance/impedance components, analog (Hall) sensors etc. So I need two things:

1) monitor various digital I/O related to controller
2) monitor (sometimes very small) differences and fluctuations over components and sensors

So far I have used regular 2205 and did hit resolution limitation several times with various tasks.
Theoretically I can cover my needs using 12bit scope for "sensitive stuff" on one PC and 8bit MSO on other PC (AFAIK cannot connect two to one PC), also include diff probes. But this will get rather expensive and using two separate PCs is cumbersome, plus I have somehow display common "sync" to get proper picture.

In any case... messing around with environment-aware microcontrollers is increasingly popular so actually most of your range would not hurt from getting MSO variations thrown in :)

Regards,
MrW

TinWhisker

Post by TinWhisker »

MrW wrote: Theoretically I can cover my needs using 12bit scope for "sensitive stuff" on one PC and 8bit MSO on other PC (AFAIK cannot connect two to one PC), also include diff probes.
There should be no reason you cannot connect two to the same PC, unless the PC is very slow or has a single USB port?
Unless there is a specific reason/issue, you typically start with one program instance and scope, then add the second with a second program instance.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Tin Whisker,

That's correct - it's usually up to 4 scopes to a PC depending on its resources and we would recommend the use of a powered USB hub to ensure that each device receives sufficient power.

MrW, you would have to run a separate instance of PicoScope 6 for each device, and you could look at using it's resolution enhancement feature.

Regards,

MrW

Post by MrW »

Ok, thanks for clearing this one up, my previous info was incorrect then (did read somewhere that several scopes are problematic). What about program settings (probes etc), can I save them for each scope? If there is existing discussion about this somewhere, please provide link.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Within PicoScope 6 you can save settings files (.pssettings) and you can also create your own custom probes and save them somewhere on your PC for loading at a later date.

Regards,