TC08 hangs up on play and stop

Forum for discussing PicoLog
bill

TC08 hangs up on play and stop

Post by bill »

Hello,
I am using the TC-08 to collect temperature data from eight thermocouples at a sampling rate of one datum per second per thermocouple. After I click the "new file" button and give the file a name, I then click the "play" (start recording) button and the logging program hangs up and doesn't respond for about a minute. Then it will log normally, starting from sample 1. It does the same thing when I click the "stop" (stop recording) button--it just hangs for about a minute. What could be the source of this problem?
For what it's worth, this problem existed when I was running older picologger software (from 2008, I think?), but I updated the new software just over a month ago and no improvement has been made to the hanging up.

Hitesh

Re: TC08 hangs up on play and stop

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Bill,

Please could you provide the following information:
  • Whether the device is a serial TC-08 or a USB TC-08.
  • The version of PicoLog software you are using.
  • Your operating system.
  • Desktop or laptop PC.
Is the device close to any sources of electromagnetic interference? If the device is the USB version, do you have any other USB devices connected to the PC?

Thanks,

bill

Post by bill »

Hi,
Thanls for the reply. Here's some answers to yourt questions...

Whether the device is a serial TC-08 or a USB TC-08.

I'm using a USB TC-08

The version of PicoLog software you are using.

Release 5.21.9

Your operating system.

Windows Xp professional 2002 service pack 2

Desktop or laptop PC.

Its a laptop

The device is the only external hardware hooked up to the computer. There have been times when I has other devices plugged into the other USB ports, but none of them made any difference to the "hanging up".

As far as I could tell, there are no significant EM interferace. I'm not next to any microwave relay stations, and there isn't any high current wiring nearby. The lab is pretty un-spectracular in terms of EM apparatus. The TC 08 software did the hanging up thing in our old laboratory, and also after our move.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Bill,

Please download and install PicoLog R5.22.3 from our webiste:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

In step 1, select the USB TC-08, and in step 2, choose 'PicoLog R5.22.3...', then click the 'Download' button to download the software.

Regards,

bill

Post by bill »

I'll give it a try...

bill

Post by bill »

I installed the new version R 5.22.3, but it made no change to my situation. There is still a long hang in response after I click the start and the stop button. Trying a different laptop with the same TC08 USB, the functionality is perfect and there is no significant delay in start or stop.

I've been using the laptop for about 4 years now, and early on, if I remember correctly, there wasn't any hanging problem associated with starting and stopping early on.

bill

Post by bill »

I fixed the problem. For some reason the antivirus software that I used was getting in the way of the pico logger working properly. Disabling the startupservice didn't help, but removing the application sure did. Now all is good.

petrpastor

Post by petrpastor »

Hi all,

Perfect hint with antivirus SW.

I am using W7 Pro OS on my laptop TC-08 RS232 connected througr USB to RS232 converter.

Same problem freezis as soon as recorder runs and tries to save log value

I have disabled AVG firewall and problem is gone.

Now I need to find the setting in AVG wfich alows both firewall and PL recorder running without freez.

-pp-