picoscope 4424 and picolog

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Johan

picoscope 4424 and picolog

Post by Johan »

Hi,
Is it possible to use the 4424 in picolog?
It is not listed in the devicelist.
If so how must I add it?

The scope works fine in picoscope.
Great tool

Johan

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: picoscope 4424 and picolog

Post by Chris »

Hi Johan

PicoLog supports the 2000 & 3000 series scopes, but not the 4000.

For your 4424 device you will ned to use Picoscope 6.

-Chris.

JamesC

Post by JamesC »

Hi,
I share the same problem.
We have purchased a Picoscope to record RMS value for long period (several days). Picolog is suitable to accomplish this task. Picolog is provided with the device but surprisingly not compatible with it! Unfortunately this function seems to not be offered by Picoscope 6.

Is there another way to log rms value with a PS 4424 ?

The device is useless for our needs if we can't achieve this function and the local supplier refuse to refund the scope.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi JamesC,

The Software CD that is supplied with the device is not specific to that device but contains the required items (software, documentation, drivers etc.) to support most of our products.

With PicoScope, you could use the trigger and alarm functions in conjunction with Maths Channels to save the data into files which you can then process afterwards.

We have a number of videos on our PicoScope.tv site which will provide more information on how to configure your setup - I've placed links to these which can be found further on in this post.

I would recommend downloading and installing the latest version of PicoScope 6 from our website:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

The sequence of steps is as follows:
  • Create your Maths Channel to calculate RMS http://www.picoscope.tv/general/maths-channel.html
  • Set-up a repeat trigger in the trigger toolbar http://www.picoscope.tv/general/trigger ... asics.html
  • Set-up-the alarm feature (http://www.picoscope.tv/general/save-on-trigger.html):
  • Click Tools -> Alarms
  • In the Alarms dialog, select 'Capture' from the Event 'drop-down' list.
  • Click 'Add'
  • Choose to 'Save Current Buffer' from the 'Action' drop-down menu and set the file name & location (the name can be appended with a variable to timestamp or number the buffer when saving the current buffer, and you can choose the file format to save as .mat file).
  • Click 'OK', 'Apply', then 'OK' again.
  • Set the required timebase and samples - I would suggest using streaming mode (200ms/div or greater) if you are capturing over a couple of days.
You will have to manually start the software. If you know how many waveforms you intend to capture over the time period, you could set that to the maximum number of waveforms in the buffer under the Tools -> Preferences menu in PicoScope 6. You could then set an action in the Alarms dialog to Stop Capture on a 'Buffers Full' event such as shown below:
Setting up Alarms for Events
Setting up Alarms for Events
Alarms_Buffers_Full_and_Capture.png (25.76 KiB) Viewed 8538 times
Stop Capture option.
Stop Capture option.
Alarm_stop_capture.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 8538 times
The alternative is to write your own software using the supplied Software Development Kit - this will require the use of a programming language that supports the standard C calls.

Regards,

Foncho

Post by Foncho »

HI,

Is it possible to use the picoscope 2206 in picolog? I need to record a value, for long periods.

Is there some way to create a log with the picoscope 2206?

Juan

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

No, the 2206 is one of our newer scopes and is not supported by Picolog. Take a look at the suggestions for using Alarms in Picoscope6 as this may help you achieve the data logging you require.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager