Frequency measurement adc11-12

Post any questions about our parallel port products
BentRods
Active User
Active User

Frequency measurement adc11-12

Post by BentRods »

Hi
typically what sort of signal is best for the freq measurement of approx 0 to 100Hz with the adc11 and PLW logging every 1 sec ?
I have been using a signal is conditioned using a 74HCT schmitt trigger with a square wave output with an amplitude of 2.5v with mixed results, I dont know if this was a SW problem way back then as its been a few years but thing's seem to have been more reliable of late and I have been busy with the assembly of a few pcb's to scale and condition the signal down to 2.5v

I was also thinking about using a ncv1124 dual variable-reluctance sensor interface as this also has a sq wave 0-5v output.

what the ideal signal that gives good results ? apart from using a FtoV convertor

appreciate the help

Thomas

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Frequency measurement adc11-12

Post by Martyn »

Picolog calculates the frequency by taking the volts versus time data and counting the number of times the signal 'crosses' the mean value in a given time period. Provided the signal has reasonably clean crossings around the mean value then it will work successfully, square waves obviously fit this criteria.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

BentRods
Active User
Active User

Post by BentRods »

Hi,
OK thanks for the reply, one thing that happens a lot is that when the signal stops the freq / rpm will show a high value as if there is interference of course 50Hz is a problem when using laptops and the AC power supply. I have always tried to observe sheilding and attention to grounding.
Mostly the setup used is a photoelectric sensor that has NPN switching through the 74HCT schmitt trigger, should the output be tied low or high perhaps with a 10k resistor ...will this help

BentRods
Active User
Active User

Post by BentRods »

I've used a NCV1124 from ON semi that has a VR sensor input and outputs a square wave, I've scaled this output from 5.0v down to 2.2v with a resistor divider. The problem is when the gear stops rotating there is no input and picolog displays Hz / rpm that's unrealistic.
Here is a little trick that I used that maybe helpful to others... (I got the idea from a thermistor lookup table)

Parameter scaling> Scaling method > lookup table, with the following values
0 0
200 12000
250 0
251 0

I no longer have values that are unrealistic and it shows 0 when the gear stops, I'm sure there are other ways to control this and tweaking the values to suit the input freq range.

BentRods