PicoLog problem

Forum for discussing PicoLog
B Burton

PicoLog problem

Post by B Burton »

I have used the ADC16 and PicoLog since the days of the 286 PC, and this is the first problem I have encountered. I recently had to reinstall PicoLog after a PC change. I also had to reinstall XP Home, and this caused Windows updates up to SP3 to also be installed. Prior to the PC change, I had been using Picolog on an old version of XP Home, about 2003 I think, without updates, and I experienced no problems. I had installed the latest PicoLog (R5.22.1), but changed back to an earlier R5.16.2 to try to resolve the problem. I also tried earlier versions of PicoLog that I had on CD, but these caused PicoLog to shutdown every time I tried to save the spresdsheet.
The problem consists of PicoLog refusing to store the average value of the readings taken during the sample period (set to 1 minute), with the 'number of readings' set to 'as many as possible'. I find that it is always storing the spot value at the end of the minute, which is no good for my application. With the Monitor screen displayed, I can see that the readings are updating very frequently, so there should be plenty of values to be averaged after 1 minute. I have tried transferring PicoLog to another PC, but with the same results, although this other PC also has XP Home SP3. The ADC16 resolution is set to 13, and there are just two single ended voltages being sampled.
Does anyone know a fix for this?

Hitesh

Re: PicoLog problem

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

How often are you sampling data in that 1 minute period?

Thanks,

B Burton

Post by B Burton »

Sampling is set to 'Interval = 1 minute', 'Stop after = 50000' , 'Readings per sample = As many as possible'. Recording is set to 'Realtime continuous', 'Action at end = scroll'.

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

B Burton wrote: The problem consists of PicoLog refusing to store the average value of the readings taken during the sample period (set to 1 minute), with the 'number of readings' set to 'as many as possible'. I find that it is always storing the spot value at the end of the minute, which is no good for my application. With the Monitor screen displayed, I can see that the readings are updating very frequently, so there should be plenty of values to be averaged after 1 minute.
Hi
I also have used Picolog and various loggers for many years now, and have observed exactly the same problem. It stores the last measurement in the averaging period.
If I remenber correct, I asked for a solution a couple of years ago, but did not get one.
The issue have followed all versions of PicoLog.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

B Burton

Post by B Burton »

Thank you Ole. I really do need a solution to this problem urgently, as I rely on the ADC 16 ability to provide one minute average values. I have also used the ADC16 and PicoLog for many years, and have found it to be reliable in the past. It is only recently with this forced change of PC I have had to make that the problem has become evident. I assume that the experts at PicoTech will come up with the solution soon.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Mr. Burton,

I've tried to replicate this on my PC without success.

My setup consists of an ADC-16 connected via USB-serial converter. and a power supply providing a voltage on channel 1.

Have you tried taking readings every 1 second over a 60 second interval to see if the issue is repeated?

If possible, please could you e-mail the settings file (.pls) and the data file to us at support@picotech.com

The .pls file can easily be generated by opening the data file in PicoLog Recorder and selecting File -> Save As..., then choose the 'save as type' to be .pls (PicoLog Settings file).

Thanks,

B Burton

Post by B Burton »

Thank you Hitesh.
I did try logging at a short interval (6 seconds) in order to try to recover some of the sub-minute data I needed. The data output on the spreadsheet duly plotted at 6 second intervals, but once again only the value at the end of the 6 seconds was plotted, and not the average value. With the Monitor screen displayed, I can see the values changing frequently, about 3 times per second at a guess. I will send the settings file by e-mail shortly.
Regards

B Burton

Post by B Burton »

Further to the Picolog problem. The cause has now been resolved. There is a bug in the Picolog program that causes the averaging over the sampling period to revert to spot value at the end of the period if 'calculated parameters' are also set. Logging on all channels of the ADC16 is affected even if a calculated parameter is set on just one channel. I would urge users of Picolog who rely on averageing over the sampling period and also set calculated parameters to make sure that their results are not being compromised. The bug is evident on my version of Picolog v5.22.1, running under Windows XP hume SP3.

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

B Burton wrote:There is a bug in the Picolog program that causes the averaging over the sampling period to revert to spot value at the end of the period if 'calculated parameters' are also set.
Therefore I must request the Pico people to solve the problem and release an updated version af PicoLog, as I have to use 'calculated parameters' to do some heavy calculating by converting measured temperature and measured dew point temperature to water vapor pressure and further on to humidity.

It is a PicoLog problem, not a hardware related one.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Ole,

Following my correspondance with Mr. Burton, I have submitted a bug report for one of my colleagues in the Development Team to investigate further.

Could I ask which device(s) you are using please?

I can't say at this moment in time how long it will take to resolve, but I'll provide an update when I've heard more.

Thanks,

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

Hitesh wrote:Hi Ole,

Could I ask which device(s) you are using please?

I can't say at this moment in time how long it will take to resolve, but I'll provide an update when I've heard more.

Thanks,
Hi Hitesh.

As I have written earlier, I've seen this issue from the earliest Windows versions of PicoLog and as I have allways used the Calculated Parameter options, I have never connected this issue to the use of calculated parameter.

I have been (and is still) using: ADC16, TC08 serial, TC08 USB, ADC24 and PT104 (serial).
In most of our applications (in an Accredited thermometry calibration lab.), we use averages over several minutes (with logging, say every 5 - 10 second) and I am using the spreadsheet averaging option, but if the averaging function in the 'input part' og the PicoLog could be activated, it would be a great improvement and smoothing my data even more with better uncertainty as the end result.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Ole,

My colleague has found the cause of the issue and corrected it. The software build should be released sometime next week and will be available from http://www.picotech.com/software.html - it should be numbered after R5.22.2 which is the current stable release and contains some other fixes.

Regards,

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

Hitesh wrote:Hi Ole,

My colleague has found the cause of the issue and corrected it. The software build should be released sometime next week and will be available from http://www.picotech.com/software.html - it should be numbered after R5.22.2 which is the current stable release and contains some other fixes.

Regards,
Hi Hitech

Thank you so much (Also to and from mr. B. Burton. He actually started this thread and resolved the cause :-)).

Now I / we really hope that one good does not make two wrongs - if you understand what I mean). Software is usually not that easy to correct and validate).

I'm still sad that you (or someone from Pico Tech.) have stated that PicoLog software will no longer be updated with new features or even not given a general 'overhaul', but that you will concentrate on the PicoScope thing.
That leaves us with a need for slower loggings (that is most used for physical quantities) somewhat lost if one is not in position of writing his/her own software.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

olepagh
User
User

Post by olepagh »

Hitesh wrote: My colleague has found the cause of the issue and corrected it. The software build should be released sometime next week and will be available from http://www.picotech.com/software.html - it should be numbered after R5.22.2 which is the current stable release and contains some other fixes.

Regards,
Hi Hitech

Are there any progress with this issue?

In your post from December 1. you wrote that the issue would be corrected in an update a week or so later.
Now almost 7 weeks have passed and nothing has happened.
R5.22.2 are still the latest release on the SW download site.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Ole,

Apologies for the delay with this. I have been chasing this up over the last few weeks, and there has been a new build which is now awaiting upload to the website which should be in the next day or so. I have tested this and it worked with my setup.

Best wishes,