PicoScope Has Many USB Issues

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
DLLarson

PicoScope Has Many USB Issues

Post by DLLarson »

I'm running version 6.5.78.5. of PicoScope on Win7 x64 Ultimate.

I get constant problems with it's handling if USB. First I had a problem with it "Enumerating" forever. A complete computer power down was needed to fix it (restart didn't work).

It also disconnected a LauterBach TRACE32 JTAG session I had running in the background. This really screwed me.

Next I had the scope running and I plugged in another USB device (totally unrelated) and PicoScope disconnected spontaneously and went into some kind of Enumerating mode never to recover.

You might suggest I download the latest software.

Well, I've been trying to do that from your web site since yesterday and the download never starts regardless of browser I use.

What's the problem?
Does current software fix this behavior?

Dale Larson
Johnson Controls,Inc

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope Has Many USB Issues

Post by Martyn »

I have checked the website, which is external to our premises, and have not experienced any problems with the software download so please try again.

We found that different H/W and O/S combinations caused a few USB issues with R6.5.78, improvements have been made in the latest release R6.5.80 which should have addressed these. For those that continue to experience difficulties we would ask that they test the Beta Release R6.6.4 and then contact the support team directly on support@picotech.com

For information the Beta release will install and run alongside the previous versions of the software without causing issues.

Kind regards,
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope Has Many USB Issues

Post by alan »

Hi,

Your issues do not sound normal (ie we do not often get such problems reported).

I wonder if the problems occurring when plugging in another device point towards a power / hardware issue with either the PC or cables?

This can happen if you have multiple devices plugged into the same PC / USB hub that draw close to the maximum current allowed AND you are using extra long or poor quality USB cables. Voltage drops across such cables increase the current drawn from the USB port.

If you are using one of our standard blue colored USB cables this is unlikely to be the issue, but if its a different cable its a possible reason for your trouble.

Regards
Alan