VB procedure prototypes and fast streaming

Post your VB and VBA discussions here
colindavidfoster

VB procedure prototypes and fast streaming

Post by colindavidfoster »

The .BAS in the VB example bundled in the SDK only contains prototypes for those DLL functions used in the example. Is there a definitive and complete list somewhere?

I can make a fair stab at working most of them out from the existing examples but the double indirection of the callback function my_get_overview_buffers is beyond my occasional use of VB.

Also, from some of the other posts in this section of the forum there seems to be a doubt as to whether the callback mechanism will work at all in VB, and that some sort of wrapper is required. Is the callback limitation with VBA only or am I wasting my time experimenting in VB even if I get a prototype for my_get_overview_buffers? Should I simply go straight to C# (which is my ultimate goal anyway) or am I stuck with C++ for fast streaming on a 2203?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VB procedure prototypes and fast streaming

Post by Chris »

You would need to write your own declarations for functions other than those used in the vb example.

We have provided a ps2000wrap.dll for those functions that can't be called directly from vb, such as the callback functions.

The source code ps2000wrap.c is provided in the sdk, to show how these wrapper code functions should be called, but there is no documented guide to using them.

colindavidfoster

Post by colindavidfoster »

OK, it looks as though I would be wasting my time going down the VB route any further if I have to use workarounds and work without documentation.

Can I therefore assume that the answer to my question
"Should I simply go straight to C# (which is my ultimate goal anyway) or am I stuck with C++ for fast streaming on a 2203?" is yes, go straight to C# (or VB.NET).

Judging by the .NET forum other people are managing to get fast streaming working, even though there are no specific examples.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Chris »

It is up to individual users to make the choice of which programming language to use, but Pico will assist with any specific questions about using the API functions.