Panayoti

unable to use new 4000 kit

Post by Panayoti »

Hi to all,
I have just purchased a 4000kit
Install software ok
then plugged in usb to pico & laptop
Found new hardware
followed driver install procedure (successful)
when i try to open pico6 program pops up a warning (unable to find device do you want to run in demo mode)
I am hoping someone can advise as to what has gone wrong installing for first time.
I tried removing pico program & device driver then reload everything again(still same error)
Thanks in advance
Peter
Down under

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: unable to use new 4000 kit

Post by PeterF »

Hi Peter,
Before trying anything complicated, best to download the latest version of PicoScope6, R6.3.55 available here:-
http://www.picotech.com/software.html
or the even newer beta R6.4.10 available here:-
http://labs.picotech.com/
If that does not work, please contact us at:-
support@picotech.com
and we will sort out the problem.
Regards,
PeterF.

mbservice

Post by mbservice »

Hi Peter
Did you get it sorted?, I have exactly the same problem. Loaded latest vesion etc.I am in Auckland. Bought mine off Metermaster.
Peter G

GeneF

Post by GeneF »

I have the same problem here in Germany.
I have tried with another PC and all was running, but no chance with my Lenovo netbook S10-2 (CPU 1GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP, newest Picoscope Software Ver 6.4.92, PicoScope 4424)

Can somebody give a little help?

Juergen

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi Juergen,
Two things to try first:-
It might be that the loaded USB driver has been corrupted and it will not be overwritten by a correct driver until it has been un-installed.
Please try this. Plug in the scope and then go to Windows Device Manager.("Control Panel", "System" and then click on the Hardware Tab). If there is an "Unknown USB device" there or a "PicoScope 4000 series" with a yellow warning triangle under USB controllers, left click on it once to highlight and then right click to bring up a list from which select "Uninstall". Once that is done, unplug the scope and then plug it back in again. The Windows "New Hardware Found Wizard" will run. Follow the on-screen instructions and, if the wizard asks to connect to Windows Update, select 'No' and allow Windows to automatically detect and configure your scope after which the scope should show up in device manager again but as a "PicoScope 4000 series Oscilloscope". If you get that, your PicoScope6 software should now work.
Failing that, when installing PicoScope6 on a PC you also need to install "Microsoft Dot Net 2.0 framework" which is a program provided by Microsoft. We supply this on our CD of PicoScope6.
If you install PicoScope6 from our website and the PC is still connected to the internet, the installer will automatically connect to the Microsoft site to download .net 2.0 for you.
You can download it as a file to a CD or memory stick to load it onto a PC without internet access. If you go to the following link, which is on the Microsoft site, you can get a free download which will install .net 2.0 framework for you:-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
You only need to load it once, future upgrades of PicoScope6 will work with the original "Dot Net" program you installed.
Please contact again on Help-desk if you still have problems.
support@picotech.com
Regards,
PeterF.

GeneF

Post by GeneF »

Hi Peter,

thanks for the very quick answer, I tried all the things you told me (.net framework 2.0 SP2 is installed, the usb driver had been reinstalled), but it was not successfull.
After starting the Picoscope 6 software, I only can choose these demo modes and neither the USB port used bei the Picoscope 4424 nor any other usb port can be used after that (sorry about my poor English ;-)
In this situation i canot shut down my PC normally any more, so I have to sitch off the netbook by the power switch and then I must start my Windows XP with a fomerly stored configuration....
It seems to me that there are some hardware problems with my usb ports, perhaps they are not able to power the Picoscope...?
Could that be possible?

Regards
Juergen

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi Juergen,
Yes, I think that could well be the problem. The 4424 scope does draw about 440mA which is close to the maximum of 500mA allowed from a USB2 port. If the port detects over-current it will shut down all ports to protect the Laptop. Can you try connecting via a powered hub to confirm this? Please contact me on Help-desk (support@picotech.com) with all your address details and scope serial number so we can sort this out for you.
Regards,
PeterF.