Shouldn't opening a .psdata reveal that data file in Picoscope 7 ?

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
nurber
Active User
Active User

Shouldn't opening a .psdata reveal that data file in Picoscope 7 ?

Post by nurber »

It doesn't for regardless of whether I say OK or Cancel to dialog for Connect Device. I can't imagine I need my scope plugged in to view a .psdata as I can open without scope using the open button in Picoscope 7. Seems to basic a feature so I'm guessing I'm missing something ?

Sven

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Shouldn't opening a .psdata reveal that data file in Picoscope 7 ?

Post by bennog »

the .psdata file is probably corrupt or something like that.

can you post the .psdata file.

Benno

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You don't need a scope attached to view a psdata file in PicoScope 7 so there must be an issue.

Can you post a psdata here that is showing this issue, or alternatively send it to support@picotech.com and the team can take a look.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Thanks for replying Benno and Martyn. All of my .psdata files exhibit the same behavior and with these same files opening successfully using the open button from within Picoscope 7 I don't see how a file corruption issue. But I've attached a .psdata file. Are you either of you on Linux without scope attached ?

Sven
Attachments
Bessie 2 showing 50% PWM segment of main injection.psdata
(439.52 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

The file opens here with ps6 and ps7 without problems.
What if you right click on the file and choose open with and then choose PS6 or PS7

Benno

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

I wondered if something having to do with file associations and permissions. But having given everybody read and write permissions on this file and since clicking on .psdata loads Picoscope I can't image how. I've attached a screenshot of "Open With" tab from file manager. Do I remember you having a 4444 Benno and if so I assume you are using Linux ? The firmware on my 4444 was updated to allow it to return from sleep, perhaps this has something to do with it.

Sven
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-11-15 12-36-28.png

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

I have a 4444 but running windows not Linux.

I guess it is a linux problem then, because you can open and read the file from within picoscope.
It can be a problem with the linux port of the PS7 software or a desktop version problem.

You can try running picoscope "Bessie 2 showing 50% PWM segment of main injection.psdata" from a shell window on your desktop, don't know the picoscope executable name on Linux so that is probably wrong.

Benno

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I have checked on Ubuntu and you are correct it is not possible to open files by clicking on them, the device connection dialog is activated before the file load can start. I will report this to the team although I can't say when it will be fixed as there is an easy workaround of opening the file from within the software, as you have used.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

...while on the subject is it not possible to save changes to a file maintaining the same name ? When I make a change to a file the save dialog defaults to a timestamp name forcing me to copy and paste the existing name from file manager or by typing over the timestamp default.