FFT on EXTRACT of recorded .pspdata

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
ndphlpz

FFT on EXTRACT of recorded .pspdata

Post by ndphlpz »

Apologies in advance but this is two questions in one...

I have recorded multiple transient voltage events using a PicoScope with the triggered data stored as .pspdata files.

I know how to apply a FFT to the recorded time series data BUT the FFT is applied to the entire recorded data set.

I don't want that. I would like to be able to zoom into a recorded waveform and just apply FFT to a selection of the recorded data - e.g. find a decent transient within the recorded data and apply the FFT with rectangle window only to a selection of data - either between cursors or just want is shown in the view window.

Is this possible? I can't find anything on doing this in the manuals or on example YT videos etc.

If it isn't possible then my backup plan would be to export the data to some other analysis software and do the analysis in the other software.

Again, I know how to export the entire recorded data file BUT I don't want to do that - I would just want to export the data of interest (the event). How can I trim the redundant data from either side of my captured transient?

Andy

ndphlpz

Re: FFT on EXTRACT of recorded .pspdata

Post by ndphlpz »

Hi - no answers yet - I was hoping someone could help. I can do most things in PicoScope 6 but at a bit of a dead end with this one.

I am wondering that maybe this is a dumb question or is the answer that it can't be done?

I meant .psdata

Just want to apply FFT to the bit of the capture I am interested in - not the whole capture.

Ideally, I would have tweaked my capture settings to only capture what I was interested in, but in our scenario we were capturing a series of bursts with lots of nothing in between. I think I might have to bite the bullet and export massive text files into python and do the analysis in there.

As a bonus question - if there is a way to just export part of the capture rather then the entire thing that would be amazing and would keep my file size down - I can't find a way to do that either.

Thanks in advance.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FFT on EXTRACT of recorded .pspdata

Post by Martyn »

Unfortunately there is no way to trim the data to apply an FFT, or select sections of data to export, so you will need to export the complete data set and manually trim the data and apply the FFT.

The correct approach would have been to use the trigger functions to collect the data you needed.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager