PicoScope2203 USB with any version Labview

Post your LabVIEW discussions here
Dbutz57
User
User

PicoScope2203 USB with any version Labview

Post by Dbutz57 »

I am trying to get started with my PicoScope2203 device in Labview. I've tried following links to examples on this site, but there is nothing to be found. I also tried a custom install so I could see examples, but nothing there either. I have LabView 6.1, 7.1, 8.0, 8.2 and 8.5 installed on my PC, so just about any version will work.

The Measurement and Automation Explorer hasn't been helpful in accessing my device, so I just need help getting started here. Does anyone know how I could go about accessing my PicoScope2203 through LabView? The PicoScope 6 program is intuitive and easy to use, but I would like to use LabView so I can incorporate several other measurement instruments for testing.

Thanks

Dbutz57
User
User

Post by Dbutz57 »

For more clarification on what I'm looking for, it is a LabVIEW front panel that is basically like a normal O-scope. I've downloaded some of the PS300 stuff in here and replaced the function calls with PS200.dll instead. Problem is, the functions between PS3000.dll and PS2000.dll are different and whenever I make changes and try to run the VI, I get an error and LabVIEW closes all windows.

I've managed (I think) to get channel A and B to acquire a signal, but I can't seem to get the signal generator to output a signal. Is there a VI available that allows me to output a signal from the sig gen while simultaneously reading a signal on channel A and B. The ability to add measurements would be nice too.

If no one has these VIs, does anyone have or know which document explains the functions in the PS2000.dll file? Something like a programmers reference guide that explains what "ps2000_set_sig_gen_arbitrary" means and what it does.

Thanks.

Dbutz57
User
User

Post by Dbutz57 »

Hello!!! Is there anybody out there? I still cannot get my Picoscope 2203 to work in LabVIEW. I found examples and programmers reference in PicoScope 5 (not PicoScope 6, which came with the device), but nothing works correctly for me. The examples (PS2000.VI) are not recognized by LabVIEW and none of the O-Scope or Sig Gen capabilities are working the way I have programmed.

When I run the O-scope and input a DC signal (2 Volts) I can see a momentary spike on the front panel graph, but it soon settles to 0 volts. When I run the Sig Gen (attempting a 2 V DC output) and measure the output with a DMM, there is nothing but a mere 18 mV present. I have tried to refer to the 'ps2000pg.en.pdf' to program these VIs, but I am not having success.

I'll attach my VIs and hopefully someone here can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. All I want is to write a LabVIEW program that will allow me to have the same capabilities that I can have while running 'PicoScope 6.'
Attachments
Test sig gen.vi
LV 8.2 attempt to run 2 V DC signal from Sig Gen
(22.08 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
ps2000_runBlock.vi
LV 8.2 attempt to run O-scope to show real-time data.
(36.27 KiB) Downloaded 918 times

gruntman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by gruntman »

Dbutz57,

Refer to the email I just sent for your code. For others looking for example code for the PS2000 series I have attached an example showing how to collect data from the scope and how to use the built in signal generator. If anyone has questions on how to use a certain function feel free to ask here on the forum.

Regards,

Richard Boyd
Crag Technologies, Inc
http://www.pc-oscilloscopes.com
Attachments
PS2000_Block.zip
PS2000 series labview example with signal generator enabled
(124.99 KiB) Downloaded 920 times

jfrounchi
User
User

Post by jfrounchi »

Dear Richard,

Could you please send the signal gennerator VI for PS3000 in Labview 7.0 for me as well.

Regards,

Jav

gruntman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by gruntman »

Jav,

Refer to the attached file for the signal generator for the PS320x series scopes. Simply add these items to your existing block and wire the handle to this function. For exact information on the call refer to your user manual.

Regards,

Richard Boyd
Crag Technologies, Inc
http://www.pc-oscilloscopes.com
Attachments
PS320x_Signal_Generator_7.0.zip
320x series signal generator in Labview 7.0
(7.4 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

martin8573
User
User

Post by martin8573 »

@gruntman

Hello !
Could you please sent me (or post it here) the sample programm to use the signal generator for the PS2205 Scope .

Reards
Martin

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi Martin

PS2000_Block.zip posted by Richard above includes setting up the signal generator.

These examples are also available from www.picotech.com/software

Robin

martin8573
User
User

Post by martin8573 »

@Robin
Thank you ! I did not see it
Now its clear !

I've got an other question:

With the PicoSope6 Software and the PicoScope 3204 it is possible to use a Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)% function.
Just select Spectrum Mode/Measurements/Add Mesurement/Distortion (THD)%

Is there any way to use this funktion with LabView ?

I'have made a test vi using the Block Mode and the Harmonic Distortion Analyzer vi from the LabView libary.

But unfortunately the THD results are completely wrong !

Any helb or advice would be great !
Best regards
Martin
Last edited by martin8573 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi

The THD is calculated by PicoScope 6, so you need to calculate it in LabVIEW yourself. I am not familiar with the Labview functions for this, but page 106 of the PicoScope 6 manual (http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/psw6-en.pdf) gives the definition of THD.

Robin

martin8573
User
User

Post by martin8573 »

@Robin

Hello !
Thanks for your help !

After a few attemps I have found a solution using the Harmonic Distortion Analyzer vi from the LabView libary.

Thanks
Martin

egidijus

Re:

Post by egidijus »

When I try running PS2000.vi with LV7.1 it displays an error saying that it cannot find _ps2000_set_sig_gen_built_in@40 function (in PS2000.dll). What shall I do?

Cheers,

Egidijus

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: PicoScope2203 USB with any version Labview

Post by Robin »

Hi Egidijus

The ps2000.vi in our SDK was created in Labview 8.2, so I wouldn't expect it to open in 7.1. Is it a different version or ps2000.vi? Can you post it here?

I have attached the latest version of the driver. It's unlikely that this is the problem, but it's worth making sure that you are up-to-date.

Robin
Attachments
PS2000.zip
(345.67 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

egidijus

Post by egidijus »

Thanks Robin,

I updated the dll but that doesn't seem to have an effect. The vi. that I am using (attached) can be opened with LV7.1 and even run if I delete that node which calls the function but then I cannot change parameters like waveform type, offset voltage etc.

Regards,

Egidijus
Attachments
PS2000.vi
(354.54 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Egidijus

I was able to open the VI in 7.1 but not the sub VIs. Could you post your copies of the following as well?

setup_data_collection.vi
set_channel.vi

Robin