Record a specific time (or number of samples) at each trigger

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
nethtrick

Record a specific time (or number of samples) at each trigger

Post by nethtrick »

I am hoping to use a PicoScope 6404D to collect up to 2 GS of data, where a certain number of samples are recorded at each trigger event. I have an AUX IN input trigger signal (e.g. 3.3V, 1.1ms width, 60 Hz) and would like to record the signals on channels A and B for a certain number of samples (e.g. 100k samples) at each rise of the trigger, until I fill the buffer or a specific number of pulses occur.

Is this possible with PicoScope 6? I have seen the documentation for saving on trigger, however that is not exactly what I want. I would expect the data to stay in memory (to avoid latency) until the entire capture is complete.

Thank you.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Record a specific time (or number of samples) at each trigger

Post by Martyn »

Sounds like you need rapid trigger mode.

Rapid trigger mode allows you to segment the PicoScope buffer memory and make acquisitions to successive segments with minimum delay between each acquisition. As the scope does not communicate with the PC between captures, this reduces the gap from milliseconds to less than a few microseconds, at the fastest sampling rates.

After capture of the number of requested segments set by the user the acquisition process halts and you can scroll through captured waveforms in the usual way using the buffer navigation buttons.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

nethtrick

Post by nethtrick »

Thank you Martyn.

I now see documentation on rapid trigger mode, and it does sound like what I need.

However "Rapid" does not show up in the trigger drop-down menu in PicoScope 6 version 6.14.5.4585. I am using a PicoScope 6404D - do I need to update the software or is rapid trigger not supported by this device?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Rapid trigger kicks in on the faster timebase, I can't remember where the switch is but probably low usecs/div
Martyn
Technical Support Manager