Measuring millivolts in dirty electricity

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Eric Windheim
User
User

Re: Measuring millivolts in dirty electricity

Post by Eric Windheim »

The Stetzer High Pass Filter lets HFVTs get thru and blocks the 60 cycle .

I use it on one channel of the Pico 2204A scope. It can be used by itself.

I use the Pico Active Differential Probe on the other channel to show the 60 cycle sign wave.

By using both of the above you have a complete vie of the spectrum and time domain vies of the electricity you are measuring.

IN these videos I am measuring HFVTs as high as 31 Volts Peak to Peak: I got sick each time I visited this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Riko3lJbXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTBOuP66J0
Attachments
image.png
image.png (65.81 KiB) Viewed 4707 times

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

Thanks Eric for the explanation.
Did you buy the Stetzer High Pass filter or did you build it yourself? I've found some schematics of a HF filter from Stetzer Electrics:
https://www.electricalpollution.com/filter_schematic.html
I presume you are using the TA041 Active Differential probe from Picoscope:
https://www.picotech.com/accessories/high-voltage-active-differential-probes/25-mhz-700-v-differential-probe
Oh, my God, 31 volts peak to peak is a bad reading for any dwelling, no wonder you experienced such adverse effects.
Thanks a lot for your help and for the great task you're doing.

Eric Windheim
User
User

Post by Eric Windheim »

The Stetzer High pass Filter has an AC plug on the LINE side to connect to the hot and neutral.
It also has two sets of connections on the LOAD side of the filter.

The red and bald leads are the big pass HFVTs and connector the hook and gator clip of the channel B lead on my Picoscope 2204A to reveal the HFVTs on the spectrum and time dominated views. These are relatively low voltage lads.

The two black leads are a 120 VAC circuit. These are hot and can shock you! I connect this to my active diff probe and then to channel A of my Picoscope to show the 60 cycle wave form. I uses 1/100 setting on the active diff probe.

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

Thanks Eric for the explanation. I've already contacted Dave in order to purchase the high pass filter you use and start carrying out tests. I really appreciate all your help.
Best regards,

ThreeStone
User
User

Post by ThreeStone »

Did you measure the effects of plug-in dirty electricity meters on neutral line?
I read that plug-in dirty electricity meters that rely on capacitor transfer dirty electricity from live wires onto neutral wires.

gctrekker

Post by gctrekker »

Eric,
Thanks for your videos and information. I am very new to this journey having recently acquired EHS. My PicoScope 2205A is on order and I'm looking forward to using it. If I buy the Ubiquitous Filter from Stetzer, does it come with any instructions?

Thanks again,

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

ThreeStone wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:15 pm
Did you measure the effects of plug-in dirty electricity meters on neutral line?
I read that plug-in dirty electricity meters that rely on capacitor transfer dirty electricity from live wires onto neutral wires.
Do you mean Graham-Stetzer dirty electricity meters? I'll check it out, haven't heard such claim though.

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

gctrekker wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:42 pm
Eric,
Thanks for your videos and information. I am very new to this journey having recently acquired EHS. My PicoScope 2205A is on order and I'm looking forward to using it. If I buy the Ubiquitous Filter from Stetzer, does it come with any instructions?

Thanks again,
Well, the ubiquitous filter I bought from Stetzer Electric didn't come when any instructions whatsoever. Be very careful to differentiate between low voltage cables and high voltage ones! You have two pairs. Try to adapt them so that they are useful and don't touch each other easily, isolated alligator clips o anything similar are your friends.
You can buy a cheaper one here:
https://www.electrahealth.com/Graham-St ... p_162.html
I had EHS for several years, now it's gone, so if you need any help just drop me a PM.

ThreeStone
User
User

Post by ThreeStone »

populusnigra wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:44 am
Do you mean Graham-Stetzer dirty electricity meters? I'll check it out, haven't heard such claim though.
It was a typo. I read that capacitive filters merely convert dirty electricity into dirty current and a little bit of dirty electricity on neutral wire.

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

Well, not exactly. They shunt some frequencies to one side of the spectrum while creating others due to reactive currents of the filters themselves. Maybe for the average person is not a big deal, but for anyone with environmental sensitivities is like fighting fire with fire.

ThreeStone
User
User

Post by ThreeStone »

populusnigra wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:23 pm
Well, not exactly. They shunt some frequencies to one side of the spectrum while creating others due to reactive currents of the filters themselves. Maybe for the average person is not a big deal, but for anyone with environmental sensitivities is like fighting fire with fire.
I wouldn't rely on capacitive filters. I'm considering SineTamer and RxDNA V2X. Do you know how SineTamer is different from RxDNA V2X?

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

Yeah, I agree. I don't know the details you should better contact them for answers.

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

ThreeStone wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:43 am
I wouldn't rely on capacitive filters. I'm considering SineTamer and RxDNA V2X. Do you know how SineTamer is different from RxDNA V2X?
You can check out this talk by Michael Schwaebe where there is a nice comparison of filters used in a inverter scenario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8pMpD2qLM