picolog 6.1.16 and usb permissions

Forum for discussing PicoLog
hexibot43

picolog 6.1.16 and usb permissions

Post by hexibot43 »

Feels like I've come along way in getting this thing going. I think this is the last hurdle. I have the software installed. I followed the install very carefully this time. I was able to run the wget for pico keys successfully, which I didn't get right last time. Now when I run Picolog I'm give an error for Usb permissions. Because the program said it might take a couple times giving permissions to get past this. I have now run it 10 times without success. It accepts my password, and says to log out and back in. Which I have done 10 times.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Can almost taste it, but not quite.

Thanks in advance.

hexibot43

Re: picolog 6.1.16 and usb permissions

Post by hexibot43 »

I have yet to get the pi going. Honestly I have no idea about these usb permissions. I have spent a lot of time trying to get this going but no such luck. PicoLog is running nicely on my IMAC, so I will just stick to that for now unless someone has some direction for me to follow to try and determine exactly wherein lies the problem.

Going to try the beta release for the PI today and see what happens.

sdbr

Post by sdbr »

I've just tried Picolog on RPI4 an run to same problem. Turned out there were a couple of problems, first , PICOLOG instalation reported that gconf2 was not correctly installed - easy fix, just

Code: Select all

sudo apt --fix-broken install
After that, PICOLOG would run but didn't recognized USB loger (1216 in my case). Problem was that for some security reason, udev rule was not created, in /etc/udev/rules.d/ there was no 95-pico.rules file so i've just created it (as an root) and put folowing:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0ce9", MODE="777"
reboot, reconnect loger and voila.

Before all of this, check that usb connection is working, just

lsusb
and look if PICO device is present.

hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

SDBR,
Thank you for what you've shared. It just sounds so simple when you write about it. Will be giving it a try tomorrow AM. Really looking forward to moving forward. I wish I had your skills with Linux. No expert here. So from what I can understand. Fix the broken install. Which I did albeit another way.
Next "lsusb" command and look for my picoscope after having plugged it in. Would I be expecting that same file you have, "95-pico"? I'm guessing not, any ideas on what to expect? And that would be in the rules directory, again right?

"/etc/udev/rules.d/"

How did you know the naming of this file for device? And the attributes in that file? CHMOD makes it writable, and readable?

Sorry I am a real noob at this. Written miles of assembly code in my day. But not a linux guru. Am I even understanding this right?

MaB

hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

Up and running! Success!

SDBR thanks.

Not sure how you figured out about the missing 95-pico.rules? I truly want to know. Was there a log file generated stating permission not allowed when the rule was trying to be written? I was very glad that everything worked with my pico 4423.. after I created the same file in the rules directory my scope was able to connect. I am surprised not everyone had the same issues.

Note: ensure that you pay attention to upper and lower case. It has to match the file contents exactly. I missed the uppercase v in inventor.

Left it recording for the rest of the weekend.