Zoom resolution problem

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
pvh1987

Zoom resolution problem

Post by pvh1987 »

I have an issue with the PicoScope software. Although I am primarily using the Linux version, I am pretty sure that I had this issue on Windows as well.

The problem is related to the zoom functionality. First, I captured three signals as shown in the first screenshot here:
picoscope-zoom-problem1.png
I would like to get a closer look, so I use the windowed zoom tool to look at the time range from about 140 to 190 ms. The result is the blurry waveforms in the screenshot below. Too low resolution to separate individual pulses in the blue signal.
picoscope-zoom-problem2.png
To get a high resolution view as in the third screenshot, I have to first zoom in, and then recapture the signals. I have noticed in some cases, that I only get signal samples within the zoomed time.
picoscope-zoom-problem3.png
Is there a way to force a minimum resolution, so I can capture the whole time range and still have sufficient resolution when zooming in?

Thanks in advance :-)

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Zoom resolution problem

Post by Martyn »

If the scope is still actively collecting and waiting for the next trigger it is not possible to zoom in and then download the necessary data from the scopes internal buffer to display the trace in detail. If you press the stop button you should find that the zoomed data appears in full detail.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

pvh1987

Re: Zoom resolution problem

Post by pvh1987 »

Thanks a lot for the explanation! I have had this issue for a long time, but sometimes it worked just fine. The difference must have been the stop button. Now I know, and it makes sense as well. Thanks :D