Resolution and Image Blur

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Jaycen
User
User

Resolution and Image Blur

Post by Jaycen »

I've got a 2204A looking at an incremental encoder signal and a 24 VDC digital signal.

The computer that runs our machine keeps shutting down with an error that indicates it "thinks" the material has suddenly stopped. It's possible this is a software bug from the manufacturer, but to confirm it's not an actual loss of the encoder signal, I'm trying to capture the moment the error occurs.

I can't trigger off the 24 VDC signal (the Run output), because the encoder stopping is what would cause that signal to change state. So, we're logging both signals.

Last night the issue cropped up several times. I have an error log from the machine with time stamps, so I can walk back through the PicoLog to see what was happening around each event. I have two issues.

1: Even with a 1 ms sample rate, I'm not sure I'm seeing all the encoder counts. For instance, when I view the encoder with PicoScope, I see very clean square waves as I would expect. But with PicoLog, those waves become more triangular and there seem to be gaps. The speed at which the line runs and the resolution of the encoder based on the wheel circumference means I should be seeing a few thousand pulses over 0.02 s, but I never see that.

2: When I try zooming around the log file, it often blurs, and I have to reset the view to try again. The screen won't refresh and clean up the display.

Thoughts?

Jaycen
User
User

Re: Resolution and Image Blur

Post by Jaycen »

I figured out I was incorrectly calculating the pulses per second, so that solves the first issue.

The second was resolved when I moved the picolog file from the usb drive I'd opened it from and moved it to my hard drive.