3204 "Unit not found" Ubuntu 19.10

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
Solarsailor

3204 "Unit not found" Ubuntu 19.10

Post by Solarsailor »

Hi, I have just bought a second hand 3204 Picoscope. I have installed the latest version software under Ubuntu 19.10 and it runs fine with demo mode. On connecting the unit via USB the front panel light comes on. lsusb and the usbtest script confirm that the unit is recognised and that I am a member of the pico user group. As soon as I run PicoScope 6 the front panel light goes out and the software reports "no suitable device found". Demo mode is still available. This happens whether or not I use an external power supply and whether or not the usb is plugged in before running PicoScope 6. The trace.xml file (attached) reports that it tries to load each .dll including ps3000.dll but throws the error "opening device unsuccessful error unit not found". I have combed this forum but not found a solution (apologies if I have missed it). I would be grateful for any help or suggestions. Many thanks, Chris

It has been suggested that this may be due to not having an adequate USB cable so I have ordered one from PicoScope and will report back.

OK, so no difference when used with a PicoScope USB cable. Also the same when using both USB2 and3 sockets and when run as root. Any suggestions?

From another post in this forum someone describes a similar problem but with a different model and attributes it to a faulty electromechanical relay as they were not hearing a click on powering it up. I am NOT hearing a click either. Should I be? Does the 3204 have such a relay in it? Thanks, Chris
Attachments
trace.xml
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3204 "Unit not found" Ubuntu 19.10

Post by Martyn »

I would suggest emailing the support team directly at support@picotech.com with all the information, it may be a hardware/powering issue but they will be able to discuss this with you.

If possible try the unit on a Windows PC if you have access to one as this may provide additional information.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Solarsailor

Re: 3204 "Unit not found" Ubuntu 19.10

Post by Solarsailor »

Thankyou Martyn, I'm in touch with support now. I have run PicoScope 6_11_12 on a 32 bit windows XP virtual machine with exactly the same problem ie scope is recognised via USB, drivers load, powers down as soon as the software is started. Oh well.