Proposed new product

Post discussions on projects you are working on
Ben321
User
User

Proposed new product

Post by Ben321 »

I'm thinking that with all your 2-4 channel scopes, you are missing out on one possible product. That is a 1-channel scope (aka a high speed digitizer). The purpose for such a device, rather than for comparing 2 or more signals in a circuit, would be to digitize a single signal for analysis on a computer. Some signals that might need such analysis would be analog video signal from a video camera, or even a part of the radio spectrum (if you put a long wire antenna into the input port, it would receive radio signals for frequencies up to half the sample rate).

This would mean you could put the best specs into just one channel, rather than having them duplicated for to 4 channels, thus the price for the device could be one quarter the price of a 4 channel scope with those specs. Right now, the cheapest Picoscope that has specs I'm wanting (at least 12 million samples per second, and 16bits per sample) also has 4 channels, and costs over $1000. Yet I don't need 4 channels. I just need 1 channel for my intended purpose, but I need at least 12 million smp/sec, and I need 16bits per sample. $1000+ for a 4-channel device seems like a waste of money for additional channels that I don't need.

Any Picoscope employees here, is there any chance you could create a new product line of single-channel high speed digitizers (basically the same as your 4 channel scopes, but with only 1/4 the number of channels, and thus 1/4 the number of components to build, and thus 1/4 the price)?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Proposed new product

Post by Martyn »

Unfortunately we don't have the development resource to create such a product, and the demand would not warrant us dropping other development work for this.

The closest model we have is the two channel PicoScope 5242D which switches from 15bit to 16bit when going from two channels to one channel.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager