2204A + Serial decoding CAN

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
stefant

2204A + Serial decoding CAN

Post by stefant »

Dear reader,

I'm using a cheap 2204A to measure a 125kHz CAN bus signal. I also make use of the option Tools > Serial decoding > CAN, so that I can visualize the content of each message (ID + data). Please can you tell me if there is any way to measure continuously, let's say 10 seconds of data in one go, then have it analysed using the Serial decoding tool mentioned above?

Currently I'm using these options:
- Collection time: 2 ms/div
- Number of samples: 8 kS
which, if I understand correctly gives a discrete sampling frequency of 8kS / (2ms x 10 divisions) = 400 kHz. This means 400 kS recorded every second. Now, the Serial decoding tool is able to interpret messages, which is good.

What I have tried without success:
1. I have increased "Collection time" to 5ms/div: problem here is the Serial decoding tool is no longer able to decode the content..
1. Then I have increased the "Collection time" to 1MS, which translates to a sampling frequency of 1M/(5ms x 10 divisions) = 20 MHz, which honestly is impossible using a 10 MHz Picoscope. Result: Serial decoding tool still not able to decode the content..

Thank you.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2204A + Serial decoding CAN

Post by Martyn »

Try setting 1 S/div to and 10 MS and you will get streamed data of 10 MSamples across the 10 seconds on 1 single screen.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

stefant

Post by stefant »

Hi Martyn,
Just tried that and it seems the sampling frequency of the recorded data is much lower than the expected 10 MS/ (1 sec x 10 divisions) = 1 MHz. Consequently the messages are missing bits of information and cannot be correctly decodified. I still cannot go higher than 2 ms/div for the "collection time". Any other ideas? Was there necessity of deep memory?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Go to Tools->Preferences->Sampling and make sure the slow sampling transition time is at the smallest value 100ms/div or 1 Second.

Then ensure that collection time is set to 1 Sec/div and then change the Collection Samples to 2GS so that it collects as many samples as possible, and turn off the decoder until you have collected a full buffer. When you start collecting the data it should draw slowly from left to right across the screen. This is streaming mode.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

stefant

Post by stefant »

Dear Martyn,
It works. Thank you very much for your time.