I think I destroyed my scope

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Wrx757

I think I destroyed my scope

Post by Wrx757 »

I have a 2205a and I was trying to do a relative compression test without an current clamp. I watched a YouTube video that instructed me to reverse polarity to make the voltage waveform look like amperage. I put channel A on 5 volt trigger of the ignition coil and channel B on the battery, with reverse polarity. As soon as I touched the ground clip to the battery+ the leads smoked and the scope died. What did I do wrong?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I think I destroyed my scope

Post by Martyn »

The simple answer is "trusted what you saw on a YouTube video".

The reason we do not advise the use of the general scopes for Automotive work is that they do not have the same level of input protection. That is why the automotive diagnostic software will only work with the the Automotive Scopes.

If you are lucky then it may just be a single component that has blown, if not it may be beyond economical repair. I would suggest emailing support@picotech.com to arrange for the unit to be sent back for investigation/repair, and to discuss your options.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

CommanderLake

Re: I think I destroyed my scope

Post by CommanderLake »

Unless your measurement equipment was completely isolated from the car ground you probably shorted the battery through the scope ground.
e.g if you have the computer in any way connected to the car or another probe connected to the cars ground you cannot use the battery positive as common for your measurement because the battery would discharge through the scope making the wires extremely hot.