Problems with CAN

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
Osborne
User
User

Problems with CAN

Post by Osborne »

Hi, I have a 3204B since many years, connecting to HP laptop with Windows7. I have run the Pico with a r6_6_57 version, mainly as a plain scope, for many years ( I had a Tektronix scope earleir) and I love it! Recent couple of years I have used it for CAN reading/verification in microcontroller environment. CAN speed is approx 9,14 kbps. Sometimes with a little kinky baud setting.
Now I have updated to r6_13_15. Connected to a running bus, and after setting "create, CAN, low, chA", I get 1Mbps and click OK in good trust, I get only a black line and chA edit box on screen. Clicking that box for changing baudrate I can only get 12,5 kbps by arrows. Also changing manually i box to about 9.15 kbps, I still get only a black line even though pulses are running OK. I have about 3 sesc between transmissions, and when freezing, decoding manually, I can verify read data to my software OK. Pls hint me.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Problems with CAN

Post by bennog »

can you post a .psdata file?

Benno

Osborne
User
User

Post by Osborne »

Hi, sorry for being away for some time, partly not finding this place where I found your answer/question. I saved a screen where this "black line" i.s.o. hex data, and this is the resulting psdata-file. Om an earlier version of the program I could read hex values below the pulses. I don´t have that version anymore but would like to get hold of such for comparison. That is much easier than manually decoding.
I tried to use "Add files" below to add the .psdata file, but can´t notice any change, hence I don´t know if you got it. Regards Osborne
Attachments
sample20190501-0001.psdata
(911.29 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

1st notice baud rate is 10kb/s not 1mb/s
Problem with current PS software is you can not go lower then 12.5kb/s
2019-05-02_10-29-45.png

Osborne
User
User

Post by Osborne »

Yes I noticed, but that comes up by default when "creating", and when trying change it to 10kbs, it does not change to 10, and trying 12kbs it still shows a black line and no hex. Is it possible to get an older version just for test? In case my laptop is not good enough.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Not a Laptop problem just a physical limitation with the software and the very slow speed CAN you are looking at.

You can download the old version here PicoScope 6 6.6.57
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Osborne
User
User

Post by Osborne »

Thanks! I will try that version and/or maybe try to change the baudrate.