Monitor CanBus Signals

Having problems ? let us know the details here
pdavitt
User
User

Monitor CanBus Signals

Post by pdavitt »

I have a Pico 2206B MSO scope and I need to tap into, and analyze, an existing CanBus. This is not an Automotive or NEMA 2000 CanBus. It consists of RJ-45 connectors, with Cat 5e UTP cables, and terminators at each end. I have looked for a fixture or breakout board I could use to tap in, but with no luck. I do have a Peak (Can to USB) interface I could use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

pdavitt
User
User

Re: Monitor CanBus Signals

Post by pdavitt »

Think I may have found the answer. It's a breakout board with four, parallel RJ-45 Jacks and a breakout connector. Below is an image.
Pat
Attachments
Annotation 2019-04-22 080743.jpg

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

How do you hookup the peak usb unit ?

This has a 9 pin Sub-D connector on it.
You can hook the scope to the same connector where you normally use the Peak-USB, or is the Peak-USB part of the system ?

Benno

pdavitt
User
User

Post by pdavitt »

The Peak CAN to USB interface has two RJ-45 Paralleled connectors for CanBus connectivity and a USB Type A output connector to the computer. The RJ-45 connectors can either be used in a pass-through mode for a mid bus connection or, with the use of a 120 ohm terminator, be connected to the end of the bus.

Don't think I will need to use it. Since the breakout board I show above allows me to connect a differential probe directly into the CanBus.

Pat