PicoLog 5.23 not working with two channels.

Forum for discussing PicoLog
terrypin

PicoLog 5.23 not working with two channels.

Post by terrypin »

The problem described below with PicoLog 5.23 on my shed XP Home PC motivated me to replace it with a faster, newer XP Pro PC. But on testing my 2205A on this PC I found the identical problem. As soon as I add a second channel and prepare to start recording, the relay starts chattering at a high rate and no progress is possible until I delete either Channel A or B.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoLog 5.23 not working with two channels.

Post by Martyn »

The PicoScope 2205 have relays that switch between the high and low voltage ranges on each channel. When
running in PicoLog, the input signal is fed through from one input connector to both channels’ ADCs in parallel to get twice the sampling rate. Then the other input connector is routed through the same pair of ADCs and so on in a cycle. At any one time, the unused input connector and preamplifier chain is set to the highest voltage (lowest gain) condition to avoid injecting crosstalk onto the live channel. If either channel is set to ±1 V or lower, the gain relay will cycle continuously.

To use two channels without the relay noise, set both to any voltage greater than ±1 V (±2 V to ±20 V, and they can be different).
For the smaller voltage ranges less than ±2 V (±1 V to ±50 mV) the clicking can be reduced or eliminated by increasing the scan time under the Edit Measurements section. You will need to do this for both channels.

This is inherent in the hardware design and cannot be changed or fixed in software.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Martyn, appreciate that fast and clear reply.

But why therefore does PicoLog open by default with the two channels both set to 50mV?

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Any thoughts on this please?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It's the way it was written, and as it is legacy code it can't be changed.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager