Windows 10 USB3 Connection is not stable

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
mjkhtxps

Windows 10 USB3 Connection is not stable

Post by mjkhtxps »

I have a 3406DMSO and cant get a stable USB3 connection to the scope.

My computer is a HP EliteBook 850 G2 running Windows 10 1803 with PicoScope 6 6.13.15.4081.

If I connect the externally powered scope directly to a USB3 port on the notebook then PcioScope6 will sometimes connect. The USB cable needs to re-plugged a few times. If it does then it will trigger 4 or 5 times, freeze with around 1% CPU and then need to be killed via the task manager. Sometimes it will trigger 4 or 5 times, then report that the device is missing, then find it and connect again, then trigger 4 or 5 times and keep repeating this cycle.

If I connect the externally power scope to powered USB 3 Hub and start the PicoScope software then sometimes it connects and other times not, but if it does get a connection then triggering mostly runs with without any problems.

If I use the direct USB 3 Port connection, but insert and USB 2 Power Monitoring device (thus forcing the connection to USB 2) then PicoScope 6 finds the device and triggering mostly runs with without any problems.

Restarting the computer makes no difference, neither does uninstalling the device nor reinstalling the PicoScope software. The notebook was recently updated to Windows 10, but I had the same issues with Windows 7. Also, mine is not the only Notebook with this issue, as I have had similar problems when trying to use PicoScope on Notebooks from colleagues.
Last edited by mjkhtxps on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mirceap

Re: Windows 10 USB3 Connection is not stable

Post by mirceap »

Hello!

I have the same problems with the same variant of scope 3406DMSO. I connected it on several computers: DELL Optiplex 7010, HP Z420, a custom PC with Asus MB and Intel I7-8700 CPU and an Intel NUC 5i7RYK mini PC. On all PC's I have the same problems. And the problems started as soon as I took the first time, the 3406DMSO, out of the box.

While investigating the problem during some months (where I used it almost always in USB 2 mode) I found that, when the PicoScope software is starting, the 3406DMSO device disappears from DeviceManager. Then, while the PicoScope software runs, the sound Windows 10 makes when connecting/disconnecting a USB device, is heard from time to time (it's like the 3406DMSO tries to make itself visible to PicoScope 6 software but the software keeps shutting the device down :) ). Sometimes, after a while the PicoScope sees the device and everything starts working normally until I disconnect and connect again the 3406DMSO.

It is a very useful device (for debugging communication systems and all kinds of systems that need an oscilloscope with a large memory buffer and multiple digital channels) and only if this little problem will go away, I'll buy at least one more for home use :) .

So please help with solving this USB problem!

Best regards,

Mircea

mjkhtxps

Ignored by Support

Post by mjkhtxps »

Hey Support,

Nearly three weeks and the only reply to my problem is someone else with the same problem.

Regards,

Mark.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question

Can you start up the PicoScope 6 software, and then plug the device into the PC, and leave it to try and connect, if it doesn't connect then goto File->ConnectDevice and try one more time. Once the tests are complete please locate the trace.xml file as detailed in Section 3 of the Frequently Asked Questions and send this to support@picotech.com so that the team can investigate.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

mirceap

Post by mirceap »

I did sent the trace.xml files to support!

Also, I did some more investigations and it seems that if I let the 3406DMSO device connected and the Pico Scope 6 software running for some minutes then in the end the device is seen by the software (the click of a relay was heard and green light started blinking).

What’s interesting is that, after the device is seen once by PicoScope6, then I can restart the PicoScope 6 software and the device is detected immediately.

If, on the other hand, I remove and then plug back the USB3 cable (with or without closing the PicoScope6 software) then problems appear. The device is no longer detected by PicoScope 6 at start-up ( as stated above, only after some minutes pass it is detected). If the PicoScope6 was running when I unplugged the device and then plug it again then it is no longer recognized again by the PicoScope6 (I waited more than 10 minutes).