Feedback wanted from our Linux users!

Discussion forum for the new Picoscope Linux software
Kieran
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Feedback wanted from our Linux users!

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi all Linux users of Pico software,

We're currently evaluating the needs of our Linux customers in terms of operating system/distro support. If you are a Linux user of PicoScope 6, PicoLog 6 or PicoSDK software and would like to take part in a short survey, please click here. It should take less than 5 minutes depending on how much or little you have to say!

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kieran Winstanley
Product Manager
Kieran
Pico Technical Support
Forum Moderator

dnessett
Active User
Active User

Re: Feedback wanted from our Linux users!

Post by dnessett » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Kieran,

I posted a response to this question a day or two ago, but was at the time concerned with PicoScope 6 becoming non-responsive. This is obviously a bug and doesn't really address your feedback question.

So, let me add one thing. The major enhancement I would like to see is ensuring the Windows and Linux versions of the software offer the identical features. For example, right now in the Windows version you can select the termination ohms used to calculate the dBm values output by the FFT algorithm. However, you cannot do that in the Linux version. The Linux version assumes dBm values are expressed using 600 ohms as the termination resistance. For RF work, this is not the correct assumption. So, I have to save the output spectrum using dBV units in .csv format and make the appropriate conversions myself. This is very inconvenient.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input on this issue.

Regards,

Dan Nessett

bboyes

Post by bboyes » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Please! Windows forced scans, updates and reboots are a huge headache. They can only be held off a few days and it is a big problem for us in remote logging applications.

elfasys

Post by elfasys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:18 am

Hi !
The features I lacked were the possibility to add a previously captured trace to properly decode an SPI frame (storing the CS signal) and, maybe, the availability of advanced triggers (maybe due to the old age of my scope). Finally there is an issue with (Ubuntu 19.04) dark themes and PicoScope drop-downs where the background color is the same as the text. No very big deal since you can see the text when hovering (see attached picture).

This software is overall well supported and stable, nice job here !
Attachments
2019-08-15_11-14.png
The display issue, with 500mV hovered
2019-08-15_11-14.png (13.83 KiB) Viewed 282 times

DaveDay

Post by DaveDay » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Inverting the trace seems to be missing. Or adding custom probes.