How to measure voltages higher than 20 V PTP?

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
Lawrence
User
User

How to measure voltages higher than 20 V PTP?

Post by Lawrence »

Hi, my name is Lawrence and I am retired, have worked in Electrical all my life, but have not used an oscillosope in approx 50 years (since being at Technical school). I bought the Picoscope 2204a to measure dirty electricity at home.

Q1: how does one measure voltages higher than the 20 V PTP marked on the scope?
Q2: how does the 10x button work on the probes? Does it multiply the signal by 10 x into the Picoscope, or does it reduce the signal by 10 x?

This kind of info is missing from the Pico documentation. Would be nice to see them add it for "Picoscope for dummies"

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to measure voltages higher than 20 V PTP?

Post by Martyn »

Unless you are using appropriately rated active differential probes, or an isolation transformer, do not use the scope on mains electricity. IT IS DANGEROUS !!!!!

Definitely do not use the supplied probes in the x10 setting, you are likely to damage the scope, the computer and you.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

JamesDuvall

Re: How to measure voltages higher than 20 V PTP?

Post by JamesDuvall »

I'd like to ask about this as well. If I use a appropriately rated CAT II/III 1:100 probe, and float the scope on a battery operated (floated) PC, is there a specific threat here? It would seem to me no different than using a handheld scope, similar to a Fluke 190 series?