External Sensor Connector

Post any suggestions about sensors to be used with the DrDAQ here
dcard

External Sensor Connector

Post by dcard »

I have scoured the site for more information on mating connectors to the three external sensor inputs on the DrDAQ.

I see FCC 68 4/4 in the manual, but I just cannot find anything in my local USA sources (Newark, Digikey, etc.)

There is even a mention of a breakout box at a 3rd party company that cannot be found at their website.

All I need is a short cable with the proper connector on one end (male I believe) and flying leads on the other.

Will a standard RJ11 6P4C male connector fit into this DrDAQ connnector? If that is the case, I can just buy a couple of short RJ11 cables anywhere, cut them in half for "4" different sensor projects.

I see that Pico sells an "extension cable" for these sensor units. I assume since "extension," one end male, the other female. Therefore I would need to spend 3 x $17 USD just to interface to this unit?

Thx in advance for any suggestions (or clarification) here.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External Sensor Connector

Post by Martyn »

You will need an RJ9 4P4C
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

dcard

Post by dcard »

Perfect. Thx!

dcard

Post by dcard »

Just a follow-up.

I received my DrDAQ and RJ11 4P4C does not fit.

RJ11 jacks in the USA connect telephones to the wall outlet. Most are 6P4C, but you can find 4P4C RJ11 jacks.

But the RJ11 jack has a dimension that is too wide for the DrDAQ input.

You need an RJ9 4P4C jack. The Rj9 is the cord that connects the telephone handset to the telephone base. It is narrower than the RJ11.

I also found this great RJ9 breakout board with room for resistors and even op amps here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJ ... UTF8&psc=1

And here is the RJ9 cable I bought: (most handset cables are coiled; this one is straight)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for the update, and the link to the board :)
Martyn
Technical Support Manager