Why a limit of 256KiB on uploads to this forum ?

Having problems ? let us know the details here
nurber
Active User
Active User

Why a limit of 256KiB on uploads to this forum ?

Post by nurber »

This is a difficult size restriction that on more than one occasion has prevented me and subsequently discouraged me from posting. I've posted about at at least once and I see at least one other, but never an acknowledgement from Pico ?

Sven

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why a limit of 256KiB on uploads to this forum ?

Post by Martyn »

The attachment limit is set to 10M and I have seen attachments at that size. So not sure on what your issue is.

The forum software has just been updated as it was many versions out of date, so if you can give specific details of the issue, and steps to reproduce it, we can take a look.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Thanks for reply Martyn. Just now I tried to upload a 496KiB image ( .png supported ? ) and the upload progress meter moved as it should, but no upload and no message. I'm using latest Chrome. If certain formats supported is there a document that says which ?

Sven

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

png is a supported format. I carried out a test using WIndows 10 Snipping Tool to create a full screen png image which was only 100KiB and attached that successfully. As did a PicoScope 6 entire Screen capture which is only 71KiB.

What are the png images of ?
Attachments
PicoScope.png
Capture.PNG
Martyn

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

It works a little bit strange (chrome) not tested in IE

After uploading the .png it looks like nothing happened.
Then clicking preview after upload you can inline the image.
It looks like in (chrome at least) you need to click preview to see the uploaded image and the button to place it inline.
2018-10-15_16-52-46.png
Converted above png of 140k to .jpg and back to .png then it was 1.4MB and it wont upload see below screenshot.
2018-10-15_16-56-31.png

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Thanks for follow-up Bennog. Windows screenshots are .png format and I don't feel I should have to convert to post to forum ( assuming it made a difference ). I had to crop these 500KB screenshots(1920x1028) because this forum interface reports "File too large: Screenshot (5).png". What good is a forum with such a constraint preventing people from uploading the most communicative piece of information possible ? (A .psdata file is too much work for some between downloading file, loading Picoscope and then massaging the data to get to the waveform portion/glitch/etc. that person is trying to communicate.)
Attachments
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (6).png

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

just happened to me again so I attach a screenshot of the error message from trying to attach a 455KB png file. This message is in my opinion coming from the server and not a product of the browser in use.
Attachments
Screenshot (35).png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The limit has been increased.
Martyn

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Martyn wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:42 pm
The attachment limit is set to 10M and I have seen attachments at that size. So not sure on what your issue is.
Hi Martyn. The two attached png files don't exceed 250KB so I can't confirm the increase you just posted about, but can you confirm 10M limit mentioned above as I just tried posting a 9MB psdata with the same "File too large" error. See attached for screenshots of error and file attributes.

Sven
Attachments
Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (36).png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The forum limit is 20MB for file attachments, so there must be something in the backend php or website caching that is causing an occasional issue as others have successfully posted large files. I will ask the IT team to take a look.
Martyn

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

Has not been my experience that limit has increased to 20MB and as bennog recent attempted post ( below ) of 16MB also failed I would say I'm not alone. Disappointing, wish I had more patience as others seem to have for dealing with it.

topic42214.html