ADC-212 on Windows XP

Having problems ? let us know the details here
Rod Mogle

ADC-212 on Windows XP

Post by Rod Mogle »

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply. I changed the Parallel Port Mode to SPP. The 378 and IRQ7 were set correctly. It still gives the same "Error 2(Hxxx SO)" messages with an occasional "ADC 200 unit not found on LPT1" thrown in for good measure. I am using the cable supplied with the ADC-212 which works on the older P1 90 Mhz computer.

Although I did not think it related to my problem I also modified the \PICO\plw.ini file per the referenced posting.

What can I try next. I need help!

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by matthew »

Rod,
  • First of (I know its elemetry but...) check the power cable is securely in and the red light is on.
  • Which operating system are you using? I would advise downloading and installing the latest software version for PicoLog from here. (make sure it corresponds to your operating system and make sure you overwrite the previous installation)
  • Restart your computer and check that the port LPT1 is enabled with no conflicts in your Windows device manager.
If this doesn't get your ADC working, then test the parallel port with another device as there could be a problem with it.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

Post by Guest »

Hi Matt, Rod and Everyone,

After some puzzling, I picked up an ADC212/03 today.
I downloaded the latest files and installed them under XP. ADC has been hooked up with supplied parts, RED light lit.

Now PicoScope's startup message varies between these:
- Error 2 (H247 SO), or (H128 SO)
- ADC200 unit not found on LPT1

My default BIOS setting was:
- LPT1: 378h / IRQ 7; ECP+EPP

Possible LPT port modes: Normal / EPP / ECP / ECP+EPP.
I tried them all with no success.

My system is brand new, the mobo is Asus P4G8X in particular.
WinXP Pro is also in good shape.

In Device Manager LPT1 is fine.
Under the 'Port Setting' tab there are several options. Again, I tried them all. (BTW, which one do you think is the best to use?)

And here comes the nice part.
I can run different OSes in a window under my WinXP as independent virtual machines. (For more info: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html).
Thus, I set-up a Win98 system in a WinXP window and installed PicoScope there as well.
It was running without any probs for the 1st attempt.

What it means is:
- All the hardware work fine
- Pico softwares work fine under Win98, but they do have problems on WinXP on some system.

I hope there will be a solution for this soon, since running the software in an emulated environment do have disadvantages (e.g. slower screen refresh, etc).

If you are unable to reproduce the fault on your systems, I could help by testing your ideas.

Regards,
/Norbert

daveake

Post by daveake »

Norbert,

I've had the same problem and went through the same things (BIOS settings etc) as you. I don't have VMWare but I do have Virtual PC, which is very similar, so I installed PicoScope under that in a Windows 98 session. It worked!

Not a good solution really - as you say it has slow screen refresh and it's slow to use - but at least it shows that the Pico unit, printer port and cable are all OK.

I have a spare Windows 98 laptop at home that I can bring in to use for now, but I'd really like a proper solution (i.e. one that works natively in Windows XP).

Does anyone know if the Pico-supplied USB-parallel adapter solves this issue or not? Has anyone tried any other USB-parallel adapters with a Pico 'scope under XP?

Dave

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The issue of the parallel port on Windows XP is under investigation, unfortunately, I am unable to give you a timescale. I do not know of any issues where the USB to parallel port adaptor has not woked, but if you purchase one we would offer a refund if there was a problem.

The USB to Parallel port adaptor is the only one that will work with our products, it has been specially designed for this purpose.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

daveake

Post by daveake »

Thanks Mark. Will order one of those today.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

After further investigation with Windows XP and other NT operating systems, we believe that this will sort out the problem.

Check that the file:

adc200.sys

is in the following directory:

c:\windows\system32\driver

If it is then also check the following:

Start|Accessories|System tools|System information.

Locate the adc200.sys file. It should be registered as a kernal driver and should state in the 'Started' column 'Yes'.

If any of this is incorrect the insallation has not been successful. Fully uninstall Picoscope software and reinstall it again.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

daveake

Post by daveake »

Thanks for that Mark. Have been away hence the slow reply but I'll check that out soon.

Dave

Matthias

Re: ADC-212 on Windows XP

Post by Matthias »

I had the same problem with my ADC 212/3. (Error 2 (HO SO); "ADC 212 unit not found on LPT1")

I solved it this way:
1. Use following bios settings:
address: 0378h
IRQ: 7
Parallel port mode: Output only (all other settings will not work!)
2. restart XP
3. Go to the device manager and look for the connection settings. Use NOT automatic detection, use manual setting instead with 0378 - 037F and IRQ7. You must use the following ressource method (on the middle "filecardbox"): "Using every assigned interrupt connection"

May be that the dialogue texts are different because I have a german operating system. :)

Matthias
Rod Mogle wrote:Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply. I changed the Parallel Port Mode to SPP. The 378 and IRQ7 were set correctly. It still gives the same "Error 2(Hxxx SO)" messages with an occasional "ADC 200 unit not found on LPT1" thrown in for good measure. I am using the cable supplied with the ADC-212 which works on the older P1 90 Mhz computer.

Although I did not think it related to my problem I also modified the \PICO\plw.ini file per the referenced posting.

What can I try next. I need help!