Picoscope 2204 On Android Tablet

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Rust

Picoscope 2204 On Android Tablet

Post by Rust »

Hello :)

Is there any possibility to use Picoscope 2204 on an Android Tablet? Is there an app that can be used?

I only use it for simple measurements in auto industry

Best Regards

Henrik Nielsen

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picoscope 2204 On Android Tablet

Post by Martyn »

We currently do not offer any support for the Android platform.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

joenu24

Post by joenu24 »

Do you have plans to bring it to androied? I would like to buy a piccoscope, and want to use it on a android.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It is something that will be considered in the future but it is not on the short or medium term plans. It is not just about porting software, we will need to consider how the devices are powered.
Martyn

fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

I dont think powering the device with android tablets is a real issue. An adapter with a 5v supply connector is easily designed. There are hdmi interfaces that use this concept. I too would buy a picoscope if I could use it with my android tablet and an additional power adaper would not break my budget. How about you do the SW porting and I design the adapter?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Yes, using a power adapter is fine. However one of the expectations of using a tablet with the PicoScope would be about achieving true portability, so a solution that does not require mains power would be better, and that is where the difficulty comes in.

FYI we do have PicoScope running on a BeagleBoard http://www.picotech.com/support/topic14347.html
Martyn

Joghurt

Post by Joghurt »

An Android version would be great - without and even with external power source! :!:

How about some kind of flat Powerbank that you could strap to the back of the Picoscope?
That would make it possible to "convert" and use all scopes, even very old ones...

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for the suggestions, Android support is not on the short/medium term plans at present. I will pass on your comments to the team.
Martyn

maicsa2

Post by maicsa2 »

It is sad to see that the great Picoscope is base only for windows! Mac is a much better computer and so it would be on android and ios devices! Pico is the best scope it should consider this new platforms to expand the sales! Users ask and Pico should do it!!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We do have a beta version of software for Mac and which will be updated very soon, adding in many more of the features found in the Windows software.
Martyn

Ian P
User
User

Post by Ian P »

I would also use Picoscope on an Android tablet if it were available, particularly if the power source ensured mains isolation by means of a battery pack. A mains powered (wall socket) charger would not guarantee isolation from common mode switching artifacts that the SMPS in such chargers produce. When chasing such interference it's good to eliminate as many sources as possible.

I would not be interested in a Mac/Ios version as Apple devices are more expensive than Android. As the application would be on-site rather than on a lab bench there is a higher risk of mechanical damage during operation, so it's wise to keep the price of the tablet low.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Not on the radar at the present moment in time. Sorry.
Martyn

jezray

Post by jezray »

Hi Pico Support,

I am a developer from Melbourne, Australia. I am I planning to build an iOS app which will run on an iPad. I am interested to see how we can have the iOS app talk with the Pico device? I had a look on your github. Do you have support for an iOS app which would ideally talk to the Pico API? The iOS app would query the Pico device and get the data.

Thank you,
Jeremy

victorslopes2

Post by victorslopes2 »

Rust wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:03 pm
Hello :)

Is there any possibility to use Picoscope 2204 on an Android Tablet? Is there an app that can be used?

I only use it for simple measurements in auto industry

Best Regards

Henrik Nielsen
Hi Rust this is a good idea to use Pico-scope on android/tablet if community think about it and I hope they will :)