PLW recorder only grabs 3 samples and then gets stuck

Forum for discussing PicoLog

PLW recorder only grabs 3 samples and then gets stuck

Post by Guest »

Hello! I really appreciate my Pico 212! It has been an excellent tool.

Just recently I have a little problem though. I moved the 212 to another computer. I also updated the recorder to version 5.09.4. The host is a 2.4ghz P4. I am using both inputs. One is measure light output on a flashlight and the other is measure the battery voltage of that flashlight.

The problem is that after about 3 samples, the numbers stop changing. The graph and spreadsheet just repeat whatever the third sample was and I get a flat line on the graph. The program still appears to be working and the graph increments in time. It just stops updating the sample. The indicator light on the 212 is on the whole time (flickers every second or so).

I have tried the beta software, rebooting, changing the ports, etc. I am out of ideas at this point!

Thanks for your help!

Peter

Gransee

More info..

Post by Gransee »

Peter here again. I registered with the system.

More testing has shown that the sample freeze can actually occur at just about any sample. sometimes on the second sample, sometimes on the 20th sample.

I reduce the scan time to 1000000us so bandwidth use is minimal. I experimented with other scan times with no effect on the defect.

I also moved it to yet another computer with the same results. This makes me think there is something the 212 hardware. I verified that both machines have their LPT ports set for ECP mode. Both machines are XP and I have tried the beta and the previous version of the PLW recorder software.

I tried increasing the sample rate from 1 minute to 1 second. It got to about 180 seconds before it starting duplicating the samples just like it did with the longer interval. This new information tells me the problem is not in how many samples it takes but how long it has been sampling.

I really hope I don't need to send my pico in for service...

Peter

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I think the first thing to do is change the parallel port settnigs. This should be Normal, SPP, Output only, Unidirectional. It should not be ECP, EPP or Bidirectional. Although the PC and ADC unit can get communication this could be affecting the running.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Gransee

Post by Gransee »

Thanks Mark. I will try that.

Btw, I found a work around over the weekend. I went into picoscope to see if I could use it for logging and played with various settings. I set the sweep time to 50s. The the next time I loaded picorecorder, the graph showed hours instead of minutes. No idea how this happened since I am yet to find an option in recorder to change the graph period and I am pretty sure I didn't change any settings in recorder. I then tested the logging on a whim and the problem no longer occured! I have since run 8, 3hr logs with no sign of the previous problem. Everything seems to be working fine now. I don't know how I got the graph to display hours instead of minutes. Since I didn't (intentionally) change my recorder settings, the spreadsheet still lists each sample at 1 minute intervals. This is good because I load the data into excel and I need 1 minute resolution.

Anyone else having trouble with pico recorder not updating the samples at some random point may try the above work around. My 212 with the beta recorder now works fine.

Peter

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Glad that you were able to find a solution.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer