Sampling Rates of the 2000 Series Scopes and the ADC Series

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Sampling Rates of the 2000 Series Scopes and the ADC Series

Post by Guest »

The application I am working on requires a source signal at 500Hz pulsed out for 50 ms of each second. I would like to be able to put the time/division setting at 1 sec/div and still be able to see a good representation of the signal. The only way to do this is to sample at4*5 times faster then the source signal. So the question I am trying to find out is what are the sampling rate for the 2000 and ADC series scopes at 1 sec/div (single channel)?

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
Our base model 2203 scope can take 2 million samples at 200KS/sec for 10 secs. That is a sample interval of 5uS and is more than enough for your application since it is 400 samples per cycle.
PeterF.

Continuous datarate with low end models

Post by Guest »

Hallo,
here below there is an old post (Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:28 pm) I have already considered.
PeterF wrote:Hi,
Our base model 2203 scope can take 2 million samples at 200KS/sec for 10 secs. That is a sample interval of 5uS and is more than enough for your application since it is 400 samples per cycle.
PeterF.
My application is very simple recording of analog signals representing noise picked up by a cable for subsequent Fourier post-processing.

Question 1: considering a low end model (such as the 2203 above) if I use slightly larger sample rate (let's say 400 kS/s), which is the limitation on streaming to disk? I would like to have a continuous streaming of course, but I may guess it is half of those 10 secs...
I see above 2 million samples: so is this an internal storage and hence a hard limit? or is it in some way related to USB and 2203 performances?

Since in such railways applications triggers are not easy to get, I would run PicoScope 6 freely, and then pressing "start recording" when it is needed (very trivial manual trigger).
Question 2: then, PicoScope halts by itself when the limit is reached or something nasty may occur? I know it could depend on the model I'm using, but I remember that with high end models everything was fine.

[the problem is related to a new purchase of a very inexpensive model that may be left on site for long time, of course not in continuous recording!]

Thanks for your attention
andrea

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi Andrea,
The 2203 can do fast streaming in blocks of up to 2MS per screen. The values actually obtained are determined by the time base thus:-
1MS/s for 2 secs
333KS/s for 5 secs
200KS/s for 10 secs
Multiple blocks of data are saved with about 2 secs between blocks (time taken to send data across USB) Total number determined by amount of PC RAM free.
The 4224 scope can do better:-
1MS/s for 10 secs
500KS/sec for 20 secs
Nothing goes wrong when memory fills up, the earliest screen just get overwritten by the next screen to arrive.
Regards,
PeterF.

Post by Guest »

Thank you Peter,
this was simply an urgence to be "covered" in the least expensive way!
I'm going to purchase a 2203 from local RS-components, so the delivery is one/two days for sure!
thanks again
andrea