Testing Picolog 6.1.2

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Testing Picolog 6.1.2

Post by Glovisol »

I have just started testing the new Picolog 6.1. 2 i.e. the stable version and I could verify that the alarms set in the math channels now actuate the external outputs. The user interface has been redesigned and obviously differs from the previous version: for this reason an up to date USER GUIDE would be very helpful.

It also appears that only the graph is recoverable, while a listing of the numerical data sequence is no longer available...or perhaps I am unable to find it.

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Testing Picolog 6.1.2

Post by Glovisol »

First bug found....using the USB DrDAQ
1. Connect a 1.2 KOhm resistor to the DrDAQ terminals, between R & ground.
2. Enable the R channel.
3.Insert the equation: R(KOhm) * 1000
4. Set the output as "Ohm".

Output channel display does not change, e.g. still shows 1.2 KOhm, while it should show 1200 Ohm.

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

It seems to me that the numerical data list cannot be seen while DA is in progress, but can recovered only afterwards as CSV export. With EXCEL and its comma separation procedure you end up with numbers with a large amount of (meaningless?) digits while the time data is recorded only as a numerical value that should be converted......

Please explain.

glovisol

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Strange phenomenon on the display happens....

From time to time the graph display becomes "dirty". I am enclosing two screens, one showing the dirty graph and the other the normal, clean graph.
Attachments
Here is the "clean" file
Here is the "clean" file
Here is the "dirty" file
Here is the "dirty" file
Last edited by Glovisol on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Glovisol,

For the resistance issue, could you post a screenshot of what you have set?

Below is what I have used and that displays Ohm as expected:
Custom scaling equation for resistance
Custom scaling equation for resistance
Is the comma a decimal separator in your operating system settings?

Regards,

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Hitesh,

I enclose two screens: one for the set up of the resistance and the other for the resulting graph which still shows the KOhm display & values.

Another very inconvenient feature is that you have no control on Y axis ranges.

In my (Italian) system (Windows 7 PRO) the comma is used for decimal separation & dot is used for thousands separation.

Kind regards,

glovisol
Attachments
Here is the resulting graph & display
Here is the resulting graph & display
Here the Ohm unit is set up using the already present value
Here the Ohm unit is set up using the already present value

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Hitesh,

If you set the system up in "return units" with Ohm and the Ohm symbol, the graph stays with KOhm, as shown in my previous post. If instead you set the system up as "Custom", as you did, then the display in the graph is OK, as shown in the attached Jpeg. It seems that the "Ohm" post in "return units" should be amended.
I also enclose more Jpegs of the "dirty" graph happening from time to time, I have yet to discover if this phenomenon is provoked by some mouse movement or unwanted keyboard action.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_56 Apr. 04 09.26.jpg
ScreenHunter_54 Apr. 03 19.06.jpg
ScreenHunter_55 Apr. 03 19.08.jpg

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi glovisol,

If an SI unit is chosen, then 1000 will be converted to 'K'. The workaround is to use a custom or non-SI unit.

For the comma separator, have you tried overriding the decimal separator in the Language and Region settings?
PicoLog 6 Langauge and Region settings
PicoLog 6 Langauge and Region settings
For the 'dirty' data, I have contacted you via a support case created for you.

Regards,

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

I have now tested with a 1012 Data Logger. After several tests I was unable to experience the "dirty graph" phenomenon, so this seems to be peculiar to the USB DrDAQ.

I also verified that the problem with the "meaningless" figures obained when converting the CSV files with the standard Excel procedures depends on the comma/dot definition convention for decimals and thousands, which can be changed in the conversion process. For instance data recorded with two decimal points appear with 7 digits after the comma, but excess digits after the comma can be easily eliminated in Excel.

I will be happy to post the simple conversion procedure, if needed. Enclosed graph and corresponding converted Excel data file.
Attachments
Converted 1.xls
FIG. 3 Converted file
(31 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Picotst 1.csv
FIG. 2 - Raw CSV file
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
FIG. 1 - Graph
FIG. 1 - Graph

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

UNITS ONCE SET CANNOT BE CHANGED

Hi Hitesh,

Referring to my previous post, I set up a 1012 on Chan. 1 with custom unit mV, as prevously arraged. Today I erased "DATA" and "SETTINGS". Data was erased all right, but it is impossible to get back to standard units V and to remove the * 1000 multiplier. No matter what I do, even writing-in new units, channel 1 stays at mV: e.g. input of 0.9 V is displayed as 900 mV.

The above is what I discovered previously, which is not true, just a false notion due to what follows. What is really happening is that the software AUTOMATICALLY changes units in the transition from .999 V (read as 999 mV) and 1.0 V read as 1 V. This causes havoc with the graph because the scale also chages with the units. Even though the obvious turnaround is to alway use custom units, nevertheless I feel the automatic change does not help at all.

The invitation to the desk was received, but there was NO LINK inside the mail, so I cannot raise the desk messages at all.

Kind regards,

glovisol

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi glovisol,

The application switches units automatically to the next magnitude level which is why there is a transition from mV to V.

The work around is to use custom SI-units. I will ask if this can be documented or made clear.

I am also running a test to see if I can reproduce the 'dirty' data. Does it affect all channels and does it disappear if you resize the window or zoom in/out? There should be some changes made for the data to be imported into Excel.

I have sent you a PM, please try the link I sent.

Regards,