Picolog crashes and corrupts file

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Post Reply

Picolog crashes and corrupts file

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 10:28 am

I've noticed an error with the Picolog on one of my PCs at work.

I often leave the program running for some time (a few days) and this results in quite a few results being accumulated, often over 10,000. This is usually taken at a sample rate of either 1 per 3 seconds or 1 per 30 seconds. Now to take a more in depth look at the data I then transfer it into Excel, and there seem to be two main ways to do this: first off is to copy and paste the results from the Picolog spreadsheet; the second option is to save a copy of the Picolog (plw) file as a text file and then copy/paste that into excel. This method also allows me to keep a copy of the results in a format that does not require Picolog to be installed to view (as some of the computers I use can't have any other software installed on them for security reasons) and so is preferable.

I've noticed that if I try to create a text file through Picolog (File->Save As, *.txt), and there are more than 10,000 results, Picolog crashes every single time. The text document created contains the first 9999 samples, but no more, and any beyond this are lost. When you then restart Picolog (after it has crashed) and try to open the original *.plw file, it then claims it is an invalid format, and refuses to open it, so it appears to have corrupted it when it crashed. This is, as you can imagine, quite annoying, as I've lost several weekend's worth of data.

I'm using the latest version of Picolog, and it's running on a PC with XP SP2.

There is also one other thing I've noticed, which is more of a slight bug than a real problem, and that is when you save the *.plw file as a text file (if it doesn't crash, so under 10,000 results) it seems to save the very first result last on the file, so you have to scroll down to the bottom and cut/paste it back onto the top. Not a huge problem but a little strange!

Any other reports of Picolog doing this, or am I alone in this problem?




Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 10:48 am

Just realised I forgot to mention, I'm using an ADC-20 to record the data.

I also realised I wasn't using the latest version of Picolog (5.20.1), however I've now updated the PC to that version, and it still crashes when you try to save the *.txt file with over 10,000 results. It now seems to sometimes corrupt the original file, and sometimes not (on a few tests)....so it's a slight improvement!

Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Post by picojohn » Wed May 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Hello Jason,

I have been unable to replicate the problem using R5.20.1 software, therefore, if you could post an untreated copy of the .pls and .plw files from a recording session, then I will take a look.


Post Reply