PS2202 Installation and Connectivity

Having problems ? let us know the details here
gerickson

PS2202 Installation and Connectivity

Post by gerickson »

I recently purchased a PicoScope 2202 and have been having difficulty getting it to work with any of three following system configurations, including:

* Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP w/ SP2
* Apple Mac Pro running Windows XP Professional w/ SP2
* Apple Mac Pro running Windows XP Professional w/ SP2

On all configurations, I have tried both the release software off the included CD as well as the latest software from the PicoTech web site.

In all cases, the software installs and correctly detects the device (it shows up in the Hardware/Device Manager); however, when either the driver gets installed, PicoScope or PicoLog run, it appears as though it is trying to scan and enumerate the bus and detect the scope and the device's USB status light goes off and it goes of the bus.

I have tried on USB 1.1 ports, USB 2.0 ports through a powered hub and
directly attached to the machine(s) and it seems to make no difference.

Also, based on some threads in the forums, I have tried installing for the PS3000 instead, but that doesn't work either.

Any insights? Anyone else have success with such configurations?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried this on any other computers? Does it work on them? If it will not work anywhere then the unit itself may be faulty.

Let me know if you have had any success with this.

Best Regards

gerickson
User
User

Post by gerickson »

Sarah,

At this point, the only other machine combination I can try is:

* Apple MacBook Pro running Windows XP w/ SP2 on Parallels Desktop

I suspect that will yield results very similar to the Apple Mac Pro running Windows XP through either Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop. Otherwise, those are the only systems I have access to.

Any there any diagnostics or other software I can run that will definitively identify if the unit itself is faulty? Given that Windows can correctly identify and enumerate the device but it falls off the bus once PicoScope or PicoLog try to acquire/enumerate it, is that a common and/or expected failure mode for the unit?

Thanks,

Grant

gerickson
User
User

Post by gerickson »

Sarah,

I attemtped to use the device with the following machine configuration:
  • Apple MacBook Pro running Windows XP w/ SP2 on Parallels Desktop
and I see the exact same behavior as with the Toshiba and Mac Pro configurations. That is:
  • Windows and the assoicated Hardware Manager correctly see and detect the device.

Once either PicoScope or PicoLog start and begin probing/enumerating the bus (as indicated by the blue progress bar at the bottom of the PicoScope window), the USB status light extinguishes and the software reports the device not being connected.

Regards,

Grant

gerickson
User
User

Post by gerickson »

I am pleased to report that after uninstalling and re-installing from the Software and Reference CD-ROM R.29 all of the PicoTech software for the PS2202 and running through the exact installation steps outlined in the PicoScope PC Oscilloscope Installation Guide I was able to get the PS2202 to work in the following configurations:
  • Apple Mac Pro w/ Windows XP SP2 on Boot Camp 1.1.2
    Apple MacBook Pro w/ Windows XP SP2 on Boot Camp 1.1.2
Then, upgrading to R5.15.6 also yielded successfully working configurations.

Under no circumstances have I been able to get either machine to work with the PS2202 running Parallels Desktop Build 3520 (or otherwise).

So, the long and short of this is that the scope absolutely, positively works with Intel-based Apple hardware. However, it appears to only do so, when Windows XP SP2 is directly in control of that hardware, as opposed to being proxied through a virtualizer like Parallels Desktop.

Now, considering my iPod and other USB devices work in Parallels, I suspect there's some small software issue in either one or both of Parallels and the PicoTech drivers/software.[/i]

gerickson
User
User

Post by gerickson »

Thanks to the outstanding VMware Fusion team in Palo Alto, VMware took my PS2202 device in house for several days, fixed their bug, worked with PicoTech to fix their bug (bad descriptor) and now, with R5.17.1 from PicoTech, the PS2202 works with both PicoScope and PicoLog on Parallels, Fusion and Boot Camp. Kudos to VMware and PicoTech!