Choose PicoScope for Arduino / RC hobbyist

Which product is right for your exact requirements
zoejif

Choose PicoScope for Arduino / RC hobbyist

Post by zoejif »

Hello,

I'm looking for an advice which PicoScope product to choose for RC / multicopter building.
I should be able to:
1) Measure PWM/PPM cycle + detect noise and deviations
2) Decode I2C, SPI protocols from arduino sensors.
3) Troubleshoot ESC / brushless motor response
4) Detect oscillation of basic electronic components (e.g. voltage stabilizers)

A really nice bonus would be to be able to integrate with / import data to Matlab for extra analysis.

What would be most affordable option that matches these criteria?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Choose PicoScope for Arduino / RC hobbyist

Post by Martyn »

You probably need to work out what the fastest signal is, and then look for a scope that has 5 times this for the bandwidth. I would suggest checking this out and then emailing support@picotech.com for further assistance in selecting the correct scope.

For information :-

Serial decoding is performed in the software, and is available across the full range of scopes.

Duty cycle is available as a maths channel, so you can plot this for a given capture.

Direct control from Matlab is available, please see the MathWorks Website
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

clarks

Post by clarks »

I have a similar interest. Did you pick a scope? I am leaning toward a 2205A MSO.

alank2
User
User

Post by alank2 »

They get better and better as the price goes up, but most things are like that. My favorite sweet spot picks are:

2205A without probes - I wouldn't go less than this, you get 200 MSa/s and 25 MHz which isn't too bad for most projects.

2206B is better as it has 500 MSa/s, 50 MHz, but more importantly 32M sample memory. It also gets a lot of features that the A series lacks and is well worth the price difference from the 2205A if you can swing it.

I have a 2207B because I wanted the 1 GSa/s sample rate. While Pico rates it for 70 MHz, it's bandwidth actually tests much better.

If you have to have 4 channels, and I quickly miss them if I don't have them, the 2406B is a sweet spot because it also offers the 1GSa/s sample rate with 4 channels for not a whole lot more than the 2207B. If I could only choose one, I'd probably go with the 2406B. I ended up getting a 2407B and its tests as well as the 2207B I have.

Good luck!!!