Relating saved data to capture time

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
dougxr
User
User

Relating saved data to capture time

Post by dougxr »

Hi,

I've been using Picoscope to capture data with an offset on the trigger timing, i.e. it's not fully at the left side of the trace. Sorry, I don't know if that describes it well enough.

After running the test I'm then looking at the data in Picoscope and trying to relate it to other events, such as a temperature plot from Picolog and my own handwritten notes.

Is there a relationship between the reported capture time and the trace? I had thought that capture time would match up to the zero on the time axis but I see a slight offset between sets of data. I appreciate there are other factors involved but if I can clear this one up then can work on the others.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I did try searching the forum but couldn't come up with a query that didn't trigger the "...ignored because they are too common words" and couldn't find the answer in the user guide. If there is a topic already dealing with this then could someone point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Doug.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Relating saved data to capture time

Post by bennog »

The capture time in the property's screen is the time the capture is finished.
So trigger time + the time of the waveform after the trigger point.

e.g. you have a time scale of 1 sec/div (10 sec whole trace) and the trigger is alt 20% of the image then the capture time would be (100-20)=80% * 10sec = 8 sec + trigger time.

Benno

dougxr
User
User

Post by dougxr »

Hi Benno,

Thank you for your helpful reply. Now all I have to do is work out where the trigger was! I think I can get that from seeing what the ruler says at the far extremes of the trace. I'll give that a go, apply your guidance and hopefully everything will line up.

Thanks again,

Doug.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

You can see it from the yellow diamond or the % value at the bottom of the screen.
2022-07-26_10-28-51.png
See the red arrows for the trigger point.

Benno

dougxr
User
User

Post by dougxr »

Hi,
I don't currently have access to the Picoscope itself, and I can't see the percentage at the bottom of the screen if I just load the saved data. The diamond is there (in grey) but no information about it. Moving the ruler to the furthest right gave me the figure that I needed to subtract from the 'capture time' to give me the time of the trigger event. In my case that figure is 8.993 seconds so I just subtract that from the capture time (e.g. 15:46:32) and I know that the trigger time was about 15:46:23. I realise there is going to be some error, I'm just trying to minimise it.

But...

I have just found that I can see the details of the trigger if I connect to a demo device first, and then either load the data or settings that were used to record the data. And that says 10.071%. Putting that into your method I get the same answer.

Your assistance has been very helpful and is appreciated.