Need to measure 3 phase (400V) voltage and current

Which product is right for your exact requirements
GrenP
User
User

Need to measure 3 phase (400V) voltage and current

Post by GrenP »

Greetings,

I need to measure the inrush and running (inch-crawl-run) current and voltage on 3 phase winch motors in a hydro generating station. These need to be measured at the same time, and stored for future reference. Will a 4444 Picoscope do this, or am I better using an instrument such as a Fluke Power meter (Cost!!)?
Thanks in advance

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Need to measure 3 phase (400V) voltage and current

Post by bennog »

you will need a 6 or 8 channel scope if you want to measure all 3 phase at the same time.
and HV differential probes and current clamps.
this will do far better than a fluke (only problem is the industry demands a brand like fluke)
If it was for you or your company only then I would go for a Pico scope.
because you can save all wave to the pc and store them for later investigation.
If you only want to measure 1 phase at the time then a 4444 will be the choice, because they have a scope powerd power clamp and a scope powerd HV differential probe.

P.S. you need a pc / laptop connected to the scope (it can not run in standalone mode)

Benno

GrenP
User
User

Re: Need to measure 3 phase (400V) voltage and current

Post by GrenP »

Many thanks Benno. A helpful answer.
Keeping a PC running for logging is fine as the Fluke will have the same requirement.
I am leaning very strongly to Pico as it gives us a more versatile instrument for other applications, other than this particular test we are required to carry out. Thanks.