Only the last waveform saved when streaming?

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
G-son
User
User

Only the last waveform saved when streaming?

Post by G-son »

When I run Pico 7 in streaming mode I only get one waveform; it fills the screen, then deletes that and starts over at the next trigger event. In block mode I get all the 64 waveforms saved (or whatever number I've set it to save), but I want to use the larger number of samples streaming mode allows AND save multiple waveforms, not choose one or the other.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or can Pico 7 only handle one single waveform in streaming mode? (Works excellent in Pico 6, saves the same number of waveforms as block mode.)

Using Windows 7 and a 2203 scope.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Only the last waveform saved when streaming?

Post by Martyn »

Can you check what you have set in the timebase panel
Attachments
TimebasePanel.png
TimebasePanel.png (18.85 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

Here's printscreens both from stream and block mode, but I've tried changed those settings without any change to the number of saved waveforms. As you see there's 14 (and counting) waveforms saved in block mode, but it's stuck on 1 while streaming.
Attachments
stream.jpg
block.jpg

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Can you disable the trigger and repeat the test.
Martyn

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

Martyn wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:17 am
Can you disable the trigger and repeat the test.
Well, that was interesting! I started Pico 7, changed time to 200ms/div to go to streaming mode, the problem was there. Went to trigger and disabled it, the problem went away. Reactivated the trigger, tried different trigger settings, restarted Pico 7 with my startup settings again, the problem did not come back. Assuming it does not come back after restarting windows everything seems to work as it should now.
Thankyou. I'll be back if the problem shows up again.

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

I'm back again. But now I think see what's going on.

When I use streaming mode in Pico 6 I can use max 2MS per channel (max for my scope model, so that's as it should be), but I get those 2MS in every waveform. If I'm saving 32 waveforms I can have 32 waveforms at 2MS each.
In Pico 7 progressive mode I also get 2MS per channel, but it's 2MS total, for all waveforms added together. The attached file shows one example, set at 500kS for every waveform I get a max of four waveforms, totaling 2MS. If I go down to 100kS I get 20 waveforms, if I go up to 2MS I just get the one waveform.

This is a rather big reduction in scope performance with the new software. I hope it's not an intentional change. (For obvious reasons I'd prefer a memory increase instead. 8) )
Attachments
Stream limit.jpg

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

In your screenshot on the timebase there is a item "Target Number of Samples", this is the number of samples you would like to collect per screen. You have 500kS which is how many are indicated in the circled Timebase control at the top of the screen.

When in streaming mode the limit is 100M samples across all buffers in PicoScope 6, doubled to greater than 200M samples in PicoScope 7.

If you are not seeing this then it may be related to your old 2003 scope, I will see if I can locate a device when next in the office to do some further testing.
Martyn

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

No, that's not what I'm seeing unfortunately, I get the max number of waveforms that totals 2MS together. At 500kS I get 4 waveforms maximum as in the picture, at 2MS I get one single waveform, at 100kS I get max 20 waveforms.
In Pico 6 it works as you describe.

I know the 2003 is old and obsolete, so I'm not surprised to see a bug or two with it in new software. Actually, I'm amazed how good the support and software development is for obsolete equipment. For me the second hand 2203 was a cheap way to see how Pico equipment works and if it's worth the money. The answer is yes, and I will be upgrading eventually - the 2203 works well (within its limitations), but more channels, more memory and bigger bandwidth would be a big improvement.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I have checked with a device, and discussed with the team, and that is the expected behaviour with the 2203/4/5 devices in PicoScope 7.

That is why they are marked as Beta in the connections panel as they haven't been fully tested, but as you say they still work well.
Martyn

G-son
User
User

Post by G-son »

Okay, at least what's going on is making sense then! I hope that will be fixed in the future, but I get that the obsolete models aren't the priority. I'll just stick with Pico 6 when i need maximum samples in multiple waveforms for now, and go with Pico 7 to learn that when less samples/waveforms will do the job.