Missed the Boat

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
postman23

Missed the Boat

Post by postman23 »

I'm really sorry to say this as I have been a Pico scope user for many years, but Pico scope 7 pales in comparison to Pico scope 6 in my opinion. Had you simply made Pico 6 touch screen usable, added the 30 degree increments in to the stroke rulers and a stroke overlay, you would have made substantial improvements to an already awesome program. However, I think that re-designing the entire thing was a mistake, and the latest software update just doesn't work. It keeps freezing my screen if I change the time base and I have to reboot it. If this is the future of Pico, I may have a 4425 for sale to offset my purchase of an E-scope.

JonasA

Re: Missed the Boat

Post by JonasA »

What exakt version is freezing for you?

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Couldn't disagree more.
I've had a 2203 for 10 years and I like the V7 interface - cleaner and more intuitive.

DwightG

Post by DwightG »

postman23 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:13 pm
I'm really sorry to say this as I have been a Pico scope user for many years, but Pico scope 7 pales in comparison to Pico scope 6 in my opinion. Had you simply made Pico 6 touch screen usable, added the 30 degree increments in to the stroke rulers and a stroke overlay, you would have made substantial improvements to an already awesome program. However, I think that re-designing the entire thing was a mistake, and the latest software update just doesn't work. It keeps freezing my screen if I change the time base and I have to reboot it. If this is the future of Pico, I may have a 4425 for sale to offset my purchase of an E-scope.
I'm not a huge fan of the new interface but you are aware that PS7 is a beta of course?
I may play with 7 but for a production environment I still use 6.

Also, feature parity between Mac and PC was a must.

JonasA

Post by JonasA »

Hi
My experience is that when I first showed version 6 to people who work with real oscilloscopes all day long they thought it was not so easy to follow. When I showed them version 7 they felt more "at home".

postman23

Post by postman23 »

Okay, so after using the stable version now for a few months it's growing on me. I still prefer 6, but 7 isn't as bad as I originally made it out to be. I apologize for my initial negativity. There are a few things that I think would make it better; I'm not a fan of the phase rulers, I find them hard to see, the lines on 6 were better in my opinion. I would also like to see the 30 degree increments added between the 180 degree markers, I think that would be a very helpful upgrade, especially for in-cylinder analysis. One feature of 6 that I really liked is the ability to change the screen background color. I much prefer a black background with brighter channel colors. Easier to see (yes I'm old) lol. I do like that 7 works with touch screen, it would be nice if worked with iPAD.

trevor.smith
User
User

Post by trevor.smith »

PicoScope 7 T&M Early Access now has a Dark mode - you can find it in Settings. Enjoy!