PicoScope 7 T&M Early Access program - Introduction

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
trevor.smith
User
User

PicoScope 7 T&M Early Access program - Introduction

Post by trevor.smith »

PicoScope 7 T&M is our next-generation graphical user interface that provides control of the PicoScope “6 in 1” instrument functions: Oscilloscope / Spectrum Analyzer / Logic Analyzer (on MSO models) / Protocol Analyzer / Function & Sweep Generator / Arbitrary Waveform Generator.

Windows, Linux and macOS versions of the software are being simultaneously developed, with feature parity across all three. You can download the latest version for each operating system here https://oem.picotech.com/p7beta/download.

The PicoScope 7 development program is “work in progress”: Many elements of the UI are already implemented, but there's a lot more still to come. There isn't a user manual written for it yet, so you'll have to find your own way around! The first "Stable" release of PicoScope 7 T&M is several months away.

Devices supported and tested in the current version include: demo mode, PicoScope 2000A/B, 3000D (including MSO models) and 4000A series. Other PicoScope devices may also open and work, but are not fully tested yet. PicoScope 7 will eventually support all current and recently discontinued PicoScope models and most legacy models.

You can use the "Send feedback" button in PicoScope 7 to tell us directly what you like or dislike about the new interface and suggest improvements. You can also tell us about any bugs you find. (It’s software – we all know there will be bugs!) Topics for general discussion are welcome here on the Forum.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: PicoScope 7 T&M Early Access program - Introduction

Post by bennog »

Nice you can mix analog and digital channels looks awesome.

Still missing the channel name for the analog channels, it would be nice if they are displayed the same way as the digital channels.

Will also send feedback about this.

Benno

trevor.smith
User
User

Post by trevor.smith »

Hi Benno, thanks for you kind words about the new user interface!

You can name the analog channels in PicoScope 7. Open up the channel menu you want to name, and hit the Display tab. You can type in a Name, Color, Scale and Offset for that, or for any other analog channel.

Channel names then appear in measurements, serial decoding etc.

I hope that helps.
Attachments
2021-06-18_13-27-41.png
2021-06-18_13-08-06.png

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

I know you can name them. But there is no name next to the wave as the digital waves have.

Benno

trevor.smith
User
User

Post by trevor.smith »

Hi Benno,

Okay, I understand what you're asking for. I've raised it as a feature request in our system and will discuss it with the development team at the next review meeting.

Thanks again - Trevor

Entity

Post by Entity »

Hi,
The new PicoScope 7 Early Access looks promising.
Will there be visual customization? I'd be specifically interested in a dark-mode and thicker lines for the traces for better visibility depending on screen resolution an distance.

DwightG

Post by DwightG »

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right place for these questions or even the right time for them but here goes anyway;
  • Are there any plans to allow more than one scope for a single instance of Picoscope.app?
  • Are there any plans to allow multiple instances of Picoscope.app?
  • Are there any plans to increase the number of channels on a Picoscope 4444?
(Patiently waiting to give you more money)...........
Thanks.

Entity

Post by Entity »

Are there plans to introduce antialiased waveform display and/or histogram-like (shaded) display of zoomed out waveforms? It would be great to be able to take advantage of the powerful graphics acceleration and processing power a PicoScope paired with a decent PC offers.

Will there be an update of the Persistance mode? Maybe with higher/configurable display resolution, controllable sample rate and accelerated graphics? :)

The spec sheets of many PicoScope models give a higher performance in Maximum sampling rate (continuous USB streaming into PC memory) than the PicoScope 6 software when using the PicoSDK. Will the PicoScope 7 come closer to the performance of the PicoSDK?

jprodriguez-uutech

Post by jprodriguez-uutech »

Hello,

Just tried to install on Ubuntu 21.04. It fails to install libpicoipp:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libpicoipp
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
174 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/4.260 kB of archives.
After this operation, 27,0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 255124 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libpicoipp_1.3.0-4r78_amd64.deb ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libpicoipp_1.3.0-4r78_amd64.deb (--unpack):
conffile name 'etc/ld.so.conf.d/picoscope.conf' is not an absolute pathname

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libpicoipp_1.3.0-4r78_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

kisielk

Post by kisielk »

The early access software is great I think, a big improvement over the previous version of macOS.

However, as reported in some other threads, I get freezing if changing some parameters like the Timebase. Sometimes the "Running" button changes to "Stopped" but sometimes not... once it's at "Stopped", nothing I click can ever seem to get it back to "Running" for more than a few ms. I hope this can be corrected soon as I otherwise find the software quite good to use...

gbd8512

Post by gbd8512 »

Hi there. Is it possible to get picoauto or pico6 to work on a raspberry pi 4 with arm64 processor?

DwightG

Post by DwightG »

Not hugely important but a usability thing when using the Mac software versions.

One thing I have noticed also is that there is no 'Hide' option, as you would get by pressing ⌘H on your keyboard.
Strangely enough this option is present in PicoScope 6 but it doesn't actually work.

pseudolegolas

Post by pseudolegolas »

Hi,

Are there any plans to add arm64 architecture for PicoScope 7 as we started using Raspberry Pi 4 for testing most of our electronics?

miles

Post by miles »

This is great! Works much better than V6 on my Linux system. Very happy to see that we can now run a serial decoder on a math channel (e.g. A-B).

I'm still doing a lot of poking around in the menus trying to find features that I'm not sure are available yet. For example:
- Persistence mode
- Mask-triggering
- Advanced multi-channel triggering. For example, trigger if a rising edge of channel B occurs more than 5ms after the rising edge of channel A.

Is there a way for us to get some visibility into the list currently-supported and planned features of V7?

benpac

Post by benpac »

Will there be a dedicated Fedora download besides the current Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?
An AppImage will be also a good idea in this 'Early access program'.