Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post discussions on applications you are writing
stereovintage

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post by stereovintage »

Hi Aaron,

After a few weeks of testing some 2406B, i encountered a problem with the FRA4PicoScope application.
Although we have installed the SDK32 bit, the application keeps giving the same error "Signal generator plugin not configured".

We tested it on different PCs with Win 7, Win 10 and Win 11 and encountered the same problem.
I attach files with screenshots: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjcChqVMGWQ6iqok-RQ ... g?e=C6yKJl

Thank you,
Fabio
Attachments
FRA4PicoScope - Signal generator plugin not configured.pdf
(694.92 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

stereovintage wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:16 pm
Hi Aaron,

After a few weeks of testing some 2406B, i encountered a problem with the FRA4PicoScope application.
Although we have installed the SDK32 bit, the application keeps giving the same error "Signal generator plugin not configured".

We tested it on different PCs with Win 7, Win 10 and Win 11 and encountered the same problem.
I attach files with screenshots: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjcChqVMGWQ6iqok-RQ ... g?e=C6yKJl

Thank you,
Fabio
Hi Fabio,

I think I know what's going on and can help.

1) Firstly, the external signal generator option (File->Connect Signal Generator) is probably not relevant for you since you have a PS2406B which has a signal generator. That feature is for scopes without a signal generator or where you need to use an external signal generator with greater capability than the one built into the scope. And to use it you need to have developed or acquired a plugin. To date, I know of no one besides myself that's done that :)

2) I think the problem your experiencing is that with the default settings (start frequency = 1 Hz, low noise mode with 16 cycles), the initial step of the FRA can take at least 16 seconds. And it can take even longer depending on the circuit and auto-ranging. Maybe it looks to you like the application is doing nothing and so you cancel? If you want to get more frequently updated info on what's going on, go into the verbosity settings (Tools -> Settings -> Log Verbosity) and turn on things like Step Trial Progress and Sample Processing Diagnostics.

Thanks,

Aaron.

stereovintage

Post by stereovintage »

Hi Aaron,

in the meantime, thanks for the useful and accurate information you provided me!
As you had guessed, the problem of not starting the Plots was due to the fact that i stopped the operation after about 30-45 seconds.
I noticed that on the first start the minimum time on this PC is about 55 seconds.

I also wanted to ask if there is a setting to set the x scale of the frequency in linear?

Thank you,
Fabio

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

I am happy to announce a new release of FRA4PicoScope: https://bitbucket.org/hexamer/fra4picos ... 0_beta.msi

The primary new features are:
  • Cursor/ruler and automatic measurements for FRA Plots
    • Two separate cursors can be positioned with click/drag and nudge to take arbitrary measurements
    • Delta frequency provided for measuring filter bandwidth
    • Automatic measurements for -3 dB, Gain margin, and Phase margin points
  • Custom plot title and font size
  • Added support for newest 6000E scopes: PS6405E, PS6425E, PS6406E, PS6426E
  • Ability to run with partially installed Picotech SDK
  • Allow installation to alternative location
Full details, including a list of bugs fixed, can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/hexamer/fra4picos ... %20History

Thanks a ton to several people at Pico for all their help:
Trevor (I told you for years I'd get Cursors/Rulers implemented :)), Martyn, Andrew, Doug, Derek and anyone else who fielded a question behind the scenes!

And a sincere thank you to several people on the forum who reported bugs and enhancement ideas: mnni, kaimex, whichislovely, lazy_electron, Nicosten, and yosi. Many of you spent significant time and effort to document issues in great detail.