Meaure mains with PicoScope 2204

Post discussions on applications you are writing
bluscape

Meaure mains with PicoScope 2204

Post by bluscape »

I would like to measure 220VAC mains with my PicoScope 2204.

Normally I would disconnect earth on my normal scope. I know it is not the best practice but it fine as long as you are cautious.

I can't do this with my PicoScope and a differential probe or at least the ones I've seen is out of my budget.

What can I do to measure mains with my PicoScope?

bluscape

Re: Meaure mains with PicoScope 2204

Post by bluscape »

Not even the PICO STAFF will attempt to reply. Nice. I know what will be my next scope. Certainly not a PicoScope....

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

To measure mains with a PicoScope 2204a will require the use of an appropriate category rated differential probe or an isolation transformer. We cannot advise any other approach for this.

Even with care accidents can happen. To try any other approach risks damage to the circuit being tested, the scope, the computer and you.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

davidhigton
User
User

Post by davidhigton »

Perhaps you can build a differential to single ended converter with a 100:1 attenuation. The input resistors would have to be high enough in value to not overheat, and with adequate voltage rating. Multiple resistors in series may help.

It depends on what exactly you want to measure from the mains. If it's brown-outs, the approach will work fine. If you are looking for fast transients, it may not be good enough.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

You are still playing with mains voltage, so if you are not 100% knowing what you are doing you can get electrocuted.

A good differential probe is the only save solution !.

Benno