GSM Modem & EL005

drspin
User
User

GSM Modem & EL005

Post by drspin »

Hi Picotech,

I've tried to configure EL005 (with EL026 + El030) to use telephone + modem, and set link to 9600, COM3 (my GSM modem), tel numbers to dial, etc

I'm getting the SMS alert for alarms (works great), but I can't dial into the GSM Modem - it just doesn't answer.

I'm using Windows XP, and have waited at least an hour after set link - but to no avail.

Any suggestions would helpful. Am I missing something?

Regards
kevin
Spin Consulting

Why is it not answering?

Post by Guest »

Dear Picotech,

I've set the GSM Modem to auto answer (ATS0=1), and to answer calls as data calls (disregarding the carrier signal).

I'm able to get the GSM modem to pick up calls if I plug in the GSM Modem to the serial port of a PC (running Win XP Pro), I'm dailing using enviroMon. When the handshake starts, I switch over to the EL005, and it connects ok and I'm able to download data, etc

Next, I attach the GSM Modem directly to the EL005 (using the EL033 adapter), and try to dial, but to no avail. There is no handshaking (although the modem is picking up the all now, because of my init string of AT+CSNC=4

I would really appreciate any help or pointers you can give.

Thanks
kevin

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem. When you have created set link, this programs the telephone number that should be called, form what you have said this seems to have been set up correctly.

When you connect the logger (EL005) to the GSM modem, via the EL033, and after the modem has picked up the telephone network reception the GSM modem has to synchronize with the EL005, to achieve this push a pin in the hole next to the LED. The synchronzation will take a few seconds then try to call the modem with Enviromon.

I am assuming that the SIM card has a data line active, and you are calling the data line for this SIM card.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Hi Mark,

Yes, I'm calling a dataline. The gsm modem recognises this, and is picking up. However, the EL005 is not handshaking. EnviroMon dials up ok, but there is a long silence. Although it says "Operation Successful", but another dialog box pops up to say "Cannot find logger at Com3..."

I've tried to press the reset button on the EL005, the light comes on - do I wait?

I've connected el026/el030 to the el005, which in turn is connected to the gsm modem fitted with the EL033 modem adapter.

Thanks for you help and attention.

regards
kevin

drspin
User
User

it's working

Post by drspin »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all your help - I manage to get it to work.

I press the reset button twice. The first time, the LED came on, the second time, the LED goes off after a little while, and starts blinking.

I also stuck the EL033 to the modem side, when it should be on the EL005 side! DUH!

Thanks again

cheerio
kevin