Test and Measurement Forum

Swimming Pool Temperature Sensor

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Swimming Pool Temperature Sensor

Postby georges » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:25 am

I am wanting to constantly measure the temperature of a swimming pool, and report, or poll, that temperature to a PC running some home automation s/w.

It would appear that the ADC-16 can at the minimum be polled as to the current temperature, and be interface to a PC via RS232, which is the easiest thing to do. This seems like the correct box to use.

I also need to obtain a probe that can be plugged into the unit which has a long lead on it. 15 feet would be preferrable, but 5 feet, with the ability to add more without compromising the probe accuracy would be fine also.

I don't know anything about probe, so I am grasping in the dark. Any help would be appreciated.

Postby markspencer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:22 am

Thank you for your post.

The ADC-16 is capable of reading voltage levels and displaying this. To do as you have suggested will involve a lot of work. Sourcing/creating the sensors and generating a scaling file to convert the voltage to temperature.

I would reccommend that you use one of our temperature specific units, such as the TC-08:

You will need to source the thermocouple that you need, probably Mineral Insulated. You could try contacting

Best regards,

Mark Spencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Pre-Sales Advice