Test and Measurement Forum

Swimming Pool Temperature Sensor

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Swimming Pool Temperature Sensor

Postby georges » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:25 am

I am wanting to constantly measure the temperature of a swimming pool, and report, or poll, that temperature to a PC running some home automation s/w.

It would appear that the ADC-16 can at the minimum be polled as to the current temperature, and be interface to a PC via RS232, which is the easiest thing to do. This seems like the correct box to use.

I also need to obtain a probe that can be plugged into the unit which has a long lead on it. 15 feet would be preferrable, but 5 feet, with the ability to add more without compromising the probe accuracy would be fine also.

I don't know anything about probe, so I am grasping in the dark. Any help would be appreciated.
georges

Postby markspencer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:22 am

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

The ADC-16 is capable of reading voltage levels and displaying this. To do as you have suggested will involve a lot of work. Sourcing/creating the sensors and generating a scaling file to convert the voltage to temperature.

I would reccommend that you use one of our temperature specific units, such as the TC-08:

http://www.picotech.com/thermocouple.html

You will need to source the thermocouple that you need, probably Mineral Insulated. You could try contacting

www.kalestead.co.uk

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer
markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Pre-Sales Advice